- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

04.16.2132 - Gone Camping

Started by Chassic, April 06, 2008, 09:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chassic

It was the last day of school. Summer was finally here and with it, freedom. Normally Xavier dreaded his summers. Being cooped up in the orphanage, dodging punishments from Headmaster Shanteel for some imagined offence or another was not Xavier's idea of a cold summer. It's as if that guy got off on hurting kids. No, this summer would be different. This summer Xavier would go wherever he wanted, do whatever he wanted. This summer he would go to the Outer Rim and kill a Karh'Thul.

He first had the idea while nursing his wounds after yet another Shanteel beating. Xavier was so furious that he very nearly followed through with a plan to assassinate the bald mother-mater. Xavier never got the nerve to actually do it. Shanteel was a powerful man and Xavier was unsure of his ability to stand toe-to-toe against him. He knew that it would only be a matter of time, though. Eventually Shanteel would push Xavier over the edge and one of them would end up dead. Xavier often daydreamed of how the battle might go. It was during these imagined battles with Shanteel that he first came to think of the man as a vicious, and bald, Karh'Thul. And that is when the though struck him. If Xavier could take down a Karh'Thul he could certainly take down Shanteel.

So it was that Xavier's plan was put into motion. He would claim to be heading to his friend Jared's home to work for the summer. Jared would tell his father that they managed to get a work detail with some engineers looking to improve the roads and bridges in some distant village. They would actually pack their belongings and head out into the wilderness. Just surviving on their own would be challenging enough, but Xavier was determined to at least see the Rim, if not actually fight a Karh'Thul.

Xavier finished packing up his gear and started to head out of his room. He was to meet Jared in a hand to start the journey. Xavier was a little early, but he had no reason to hang around the orphanage. With any luck he could avoid running into Shanteel on his way out.

Johan

Hell's bells! We're all orphans?!?!?

That's too funny!

The Orphan Brigade!

lol
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

(OOC: yup, when he told me today, I came to the same conclusion. Funny thing, most of the NPC's actually have parents, you guys are so gloomy!)

Chassic

(OOC) Yeah, it's like the Karh'Thul eat parents for breakfast.

"Parents, the other white meat." - successful Karh'Thul ad campaign.

Johan

That's too funny!

"It's what's for dinner"

"Soft on the outside, crunchy inside"

"Melts in your mouth..."

"Mmmm-ummm...good cracker"
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

"You got your parent in my peanut butter!"

"You got your peanut butter on my parent!"

Dray

It was 8 night-hand, Jared had just finished packing his meager belongings in his backpack, a knapsack, his school uniform (since that was the best armor he had), his "chemistry kit", some rope, a knife, and few others odds and ends that really consisted of everything he owned. The backpack was quite full and a bit boxy looking when he was done, but he was still nervous. He had never gone camping before and didn't think he nearly had the appropriate gear for it.

But when Xavier asked him, Jared Lightwell, a student 2 years younger to go camping for the summer, he simply couldn't refuse. The guy was obviously skilled with the blade since he was in The Protectors House. Jared could not only use the skill he would obviously learn from him , but having such a powerful friend at the school would sure make it easier to keep the bullies away.

The only downside is that he would have no access to the chem lab all summer, and he was just starting to perfect his technique in making what he nicknamed the M.O.A.B. (Moo Of All Bombs), made from cow manure.

'Ah well,' he sighed, 'you win some, you lose some.' He would just have to start his Pump House Sabatoge when he got back after the summer.

Hefting the backpack onto him, he was happy to feel that it wasn't as heavy as it was encumbersome, but with the straps tightened, he didn't have a problem at all carrying it. Which was good, it was a long journey to the Outer Rim.

Lastly, he picked up the letter to his father that he had scribed the night before on a roll of parchment, stuffing it in his pocket. He had saved it for last so as to be sure not to forget it.

With that, he belted on his longsword and took one last look around the room. All the other children had already gone off to whatever jobs they had signed up for, the seven other beds already having been stripped of their linens. This summer, he wouldn't feel so alone, he wouldn't be in this empty room thinking about his Mom in prison or his drunk Dad who cared not for him. This summer he would have adventure!

Dray

(OOC: Scene cuts back to Xavier)

Mr. Marks, Leslie's father, had secured the two boys a spot on a merchant's wagon that was headed south. Xavier had mentioned to Leslie last week that Jared's father had asked Jared come home to work on his old barn of a house, and he volunteered to go help. Leslie, the consummate "do-gooder" then told her father who hooked them up with a free wagon ride.

So that is where he asked Jared to meet him, the "Can't Get There from Here" Inn that Mr. Marks owned in the Riverfront District. He thought that if they left the orphanage together, it may bring more attention to him, and that is not what he wanted from that bastard Headmaster.

Xavier walked out of the orphanage, kind of amazed that not only was he not intercepted by a Resident Keeper or even Baldy, but didn't see any kids either. It was a quiet night, school was out and kids were celebrating somewhere.

As he walked across the courtyard, the front gate just twenty paces away, he heard a tapping on a window behind him. His heart jumped to his throat. He was familiar with that sound, for it only could come from one place, the Headmasters picture window next to the front entrance of the very building he just left behind him.

Xavierr reluctantly turned, and there the giant of a man was, standing behind the large window. He had one hand in the suit pocket and the other was waving to him. He still had the blue, pin-striped wool suit on that he wore that day for graduation.

Headmaster Draven Shanteel then saluted him with a crisp wave in front of his bald forehead. To Xavier it was just about the most condescending thing he could have done.

Chassic

Xavier stood staring at Shanteel for the duration of two breaths. He fought off the strong urge to give him a "salute" right back. Instead Xavier returned the same wave, making sure to finish by running his hand through his hair as he turned to walk away. Xavier knew Shanteel would get the meaning. Without looking back, he imagined Shanteel's condescending expression turning to rage as two black tentacles reached out from within the Headmaster's jacket and slammed against the window frame.

Already Xavier was feeling a sense of freedom like he had never experienced before. Soon he would be at the "Can't Get There From Here" where he would officially start his journey. The free ride was an unexpected boon. Funny how things like that worked out, Xavier had actually planned to travel to the south. He would have to remember to bring Leslie back a memento of some sort.

Dray

Xavier walked into the entry of the Inn, beyond it was the lobby in which guests either checked in at the desk or hooked a right into the tavern, which he did since he didn't see Mr. Marks or Jared.

Through the narrow swinging doors he went into the room beyond. Kids, even older ones under 18, weren't usually allowed in taverns. Mr. Marks' place was the exception, and on nights like this it became a full-fledged restaurant. The place was packed with families still eating, drinking and celebrating the last day of school. Most would be staying the night and traveling home the following morning.

He spotted Jared sitting across from Mr. Marks at one of the tables. Leslie had just walked up to them, wearing a serving apron and put a plate of finger food between them. Xavier's stomach growled in anticipation.

Leslie walked away from the table, appearing very busy and not even seeing Xavier even though she practically walked right over him. As he came closer Jared and Mr. Marks greeted him.

"Ah, Xavier my friend, good to see you escaped the prison," Mr. Marks said with a smile as he moved over to an empty seat so he could sit down. He had always liked Mr. Marks, as most Whisper members did, man had an easy but no-nonsense way about him.

Mr. Marks (looks like Ed Harris from Beethoven):

Chassic

"Mr. Marks!" exclaimed Xavier while reaching out to shake his hand. "I only wish the orphanage was a prison, we'd likely get treated much better."

"Hey, J," Xavier said as he sat next to his friend.

"Gotta thank you for the ride, Mr. Marks. Saving us a lot of time and blisters, likely."

OOC: I take it Mr. Marks does not know our true destination and, in fact, thinks that we are going to visit J's dad?

Dray

Correct, he thinks you are headed out to see J's Dad.

Jared nodded as Mr. Mark's replied. "Not a problem at all, a lot of people headed that way tomorrow anyway. Speaking of which we have one small snag."

Xavier's heart caught in his throat, 'he knows!'.

"I have no beds available tonight at the Inn due to the graduation, so you are left with a choice. You can lay your knapsacks down in the storage room behind the bar get a good nights sleep and travel with a family that told me they have room, or, head out tonight with a merchant who wants to beat the rush," Mr. Marks said, emphaizing the last few words with an incredulous shake of his head. "The merchant is a bit ornery, doesn't like wagons ahead of him on the horizon", he finished with a bit of a smirk.

Chassic

"Ornery, huh? Sounds like we'll be right at home," said Xavier, nudging his friend Jared. "I'd probably be uncomfortable around a nice happy family anyway". Xavier stood and picked up his pack. "I guess we should get moving. I don't want this merchant to leave without us. You ready, J?"

Dray

Mr. Marks let out a kind laugh. "Ah Xavier my good lad, you always amaze me, you never take the easy way out." He stood up and gave him a good clap on the back. "Might as well sit for a few minutes, Mr. Church isn't leaving for about another hand, so have something to eat and I will go tell him..." he interrupted himself with a laugh, "...the good news."

Xavier sat back down as Mr. Marks walked away. He was a bit non-plussed about the delay but was happy to munch on the cheese covered potato-halves still steaming on the plate in front of him. Jared shifted in his seat, not knowing how to start any conversation, luckily he didn't have to because Leslie returned.

"Hello Z," Leslie said, a bit of sweat on her brow from the hustle of waiting tables. Xavier had long ago lost the battle with the nickname that only Leslie used for him. "So where are you two really headed off too?" she asked with a raised eyebrow of suspicion at him.

Chassic

"Hey, Chipmunk," replied Xavier reaching over and tousling her hair. "And it's Xavier ... or Iggs, not Z. But you're right, we're not really going to his father's." Xavier leaned in close to Leslie and whispered in her ear. "We're going to the Rim to hunt Kahr'Thul."

Xavier leaned back to enjoy the wide-eyed expression on Leslie's face. He'd make a point to remember this moment, as it was the first time he had ever seen Leslie's mouth open without a long stream of words falling out of it. When she finally took a breath to speak, Xavier interrupted her with laughter. "Ha, ha, ha, ha! You should have seen the look on your face! I wish Shannon was here to see it. I'd pay her good coin to capture that on paper."