- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

07.25.2127 - A Boy of the Cloth

Started by Dray, November 25, 2008, 08:10:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

First, I believe you meant "Jonah" (Harrison's father) and not "Johan" (Matt's brother).

Second, know that Harrison's state of confusion is expected here, the truth is not always spelled out in these conversations.

Summary:

What is going on here is that Jonah was a secretive crime boss for the Clergy, a position that the general public isn't aware the Clergy maintains (for obvious reasons). In Jonah's tenure he met and maintained an alliance with a man named Angelus in LowTown. And apparently, Jonah maintained this business relationship with Angelus in secret.

Harrison will also learn (over the next five years) that no one in the realm knows who this Angelus is. (Despite the conversations above which speaks to him having possible cells of minions).

So yes, Angelus asked Jonah to pass on the key to Jonah's clergy crime boss successor, despite the fact that the clergy doesn't know about Angelus. Jonah then gave it to Lorainna, and now Lorainna is selling it to Michael Banks.

Harrison could always ask Lorainna?

Griznuq

Harrison piped up, being somewhat confused...

"I don't understand. You said that Jonah told you to give the key to his clergy successor, but then you said that Jonah asked you to keep the key a secret from the clergy. Which is it?"
=]V[=

Dray

Lorainna looked back to Harrison with a combined gaze of confusion and annoyance. She answered, "it's both."

Michael and Harrison both stared at her, waiting further explanation. She didn't offer one, so Michael took the reins back on the conversation.

"How can it be both?" he asked again.

"Angelus prophesized that the new crime boss would aid his cause; Jonah believes that this means the new crime boss would keep Angelus' identity a secret from the Clergy, just as Jonah had. The new successor would work for both Angelus and the Clergy," Lorainna explained.

"Okay wait," Michael said. He then stood up and pulled his hand through his hair. It was the first sign of annoyance at the aggravating woman. "Let me get this straight. Jonah was a double agent for both Angelus and Fresenius."

Lorainna nodded.

"Jonah hands the key to you, because Angelus somehow trusts that Jonah's replacement will take over as that same double agent," Michael continued.

Lorainna nodded again.

"But you stated that Fresenius didn't give Jonah over to Sephlin because Angelus somehow influenced Fresenius not too?" The question from Michael was in a critical tone, Harrison felt that at any moment Michael might have screamed "DUH". Harrison was tempted to smile.

Lorainna was half nodding when the question truly latched onto her mind.

"Well...Jonah said that Angelus perhaps had other operatives. Perhaps they influenced Fresenius?" Lorainna questioned in her own defense.

Michael immediately parlayed, "Yes but how? Exactly how would operatives be able to influence Fresenius without revealing Angelus identity? Even if Angelus' operatives had significant leverage, the faction of the Clergy in LowTown is thoroughly embedded within the black market. They know everyone down there."

Michael was pacing in the room now, looking at the path he walked as his boots scattered bottles and filth.

"No," continued Michael, "if the operatives could reach Fresenius with any sort of blackmail there is no way the Clergy couldn't trace it back to Angelus. I don't buy it. I think Fresenius at the very least knew about Angelus and played along with their scheme for his own reasons. Perhaps Fresenius is putting more trust in his new hire that is to arrive soon. Perhaps Angelus has prophesized incorrectly; whatever that means."

"I have no idea. He just gave me the key to pass on to the successor, I don't give one cold flip about it to tell you the truth. Jonah has been exiled to the South and the successor doesn't even know about Angelus, so if I can make a half-plate out of the deal, then I'm happy," Lorainna responded while folding her arms.

Michael looked at her and was about to say something but suddenly held his tongue. "Fine then, thanks for your assistance Ms. Prescott. We'll be going," Michael said.

He looked to Harrison.

Griznuq

"Actually, I'm curious," Harrison said, though he suspected he already knew the answer. "If you were supposed to give the key to his successor, why are you giving it to us?"
=]V[=

Dray

Michael sighed.

"Because it's like I said boy, the new guy isn't expecting the key. He is oblivious to it and if I can make 50 gold pieces from this deal, I have no problem keeping him in the dark," Lorainna answered.

(OOG: Note that Michael believes that the Clergy successor MAY be expecting to receive the key, and, Lorainna doesn't believe he is.)

Griznuq

Harrison wished he could keep himself from being amazed at how unscrupulous people were. He shook his head and said, "Alright, well thanks. We'll bother you no further. I think I have what I need."

Harrison turned to go.
=]V[=

Dray

Upon getting back out under the night sky, both boys breathed in the fresh air. The room had been hot and smelled of regurgitated alcohol.

They walked back the way they had come and were headed back to the School District. Michael put his hand on the boy's shoulder and leaned in with a question.

"So Harrison, what do you think?"

Griznuq

Harrison wasn't really sure what to think. He started thinking outloud to see if he could come up with what he was sure Michael already concluded.

"Well, we know where he is now. And we have that key, which he doesn't want the clergy to know about." Harrison shook his head. "I don't think we have a whole lot, to be honest. We could tell him we have the key, but that might not be enough leverage. After all, what does he really care, he's not a boss anymore, and he's not really around either."

"Do you think threatening to give the key over to the clergy would be enough to get him to do what I need? I mean, how would that go... 'Here Fresenius, this is my father's key, we blackmailed a loose-moraled woman for it. Dunno what it goes to, but that bastard won't get me switched to a different house. So. Here.' ...And then he kills me."

"No, I think our search continues," he said with a sigh.
=]V[=

Dray

(OOG: Okay, to speed things along, I am going to write the scene below and speak for Harrison. If you want to edit any of Harrison's thoughts or words, please do. If you think your edits may change Michael's responses, please email me and we can instead flesh it out in that medium. Otherwise, feel free to post a reply underneath.

Also, if you think this thread is getting long-winded, we can restart a new thread upon reaching Michael's intended destination: "2127.07.25 – A Boy with a Key".

Note; Harrison has about a hand-and-a-half (1.5 hours) left before curfew at the orphanage.)

"You are quite correct my young friend, indeed it does."

All of the stories Harrison had heard about ShantyTown's night-life were true. Despite this foreknowledge however, he still felt displaced in some kind of nightmarish other world. Here it seemed that none of the rules in the rest of the Kingdom applied. It was a hot night, and no one seemed to be content to sweat out their depravity in the crowded and dilapidated buildings. Instead, men and women drank in the streets, played games of dice and cards, and even caressed each other out in the open public.

Michael and Harrison tried to keep their heads down as they walked the only safe way out of the district, the main road. Despite this, they still got cat-called by sackers and soldiers alike, picking on them for being in the district of sin.

Both breathed a sigh of relief as they egressed into the neighboring residential district. The transition between the two districts was distinct in its purpose. Once they reached the other side of a guarded wall they were once again in the kingdom of strict rules. Twisted as much as those rules were, Harrison was relieved to be there. For it was quiet, and "normal".

"So the conversation back there went in circles," Michael said, breaking the silence as they continued to walk. "And while I think the gold key is definitely a good start, I am a bit intimidated by the complex intrigue around it."

Harrison simply gave a slight nod, knowing the older boy had more to say.

"On the one hand, Lorainna said the clergy forgave Jonah his double-agent activities because of Angelus. On the other hand, Angelus isn't supposed to be known by the clergy," Michael said with a confused frown. But then he looked at Harrison with a smile. "And on the third hand, Jonah instructed Lorainna to give his clergy successor the key."

Harrison looked up, "and on the fourth hand Lorainna sold the key to us!"

Michael laughed. "That's a lot of hands!"

They continued to walk and at a t-intersection in the district Michael pointed them in a direction that lead away from the direction back to the orphanage and towards the Theater district.

"It doesn't make any sense," Michael continued, "so before we see another candidate from the folder tomorrow, let's take this key to an expert who can tell us a little more about it. That okay by you?"

Michael continued to smile at Harrison, he had a very awkward an odd sort of look, but the teenager seemed to always have that smile. Michael also seemed to be thoroughly enjoying helping him out.

Griznuq

Harrison thought outloud as they walked.

"Well, I think if we can't trust everything she says, then chances are, ANYTHING she said, could be, or could be not, true. I wonder if there really IS an Angelus, and if no one knows about him, why's he that powerful?"

Harrison shook his head. He kept talking, not waiting for a response. "What if Jonah actually WAS this Angelus person? Maybe he "got banished" because he was almost discovered, or something?"

"I wonder what this key actually goes to? If we ever need leverage over her, I bet Jonah would be pissed to know she sold it for 50g. I mean, supposedly he told her to keep it secret AND give it to his successor. That's TWO things, and she didn't do EITHER of them."

"What's up with her daughter? Why'd she smile at me like that, and how come she only said hi to me, and not you?"
=]V[=

Dray

Michael laughed. "Well, yes, I don't get that either. Although she probably warmed up to you because your closer in age. Competition for Emma perhaps?"

Harrison gave Michael a look between confused and annoyed.

"Don't blame me. You must have that whole rebel orphan thing going on for you."

Harrison sighed.

"Yeah, I don't get it either. Enjoy it while it lasts kid, girls are no fun after they get to twelve anyway, they stop wanting to play and get all too emotional. It only gets more confusing as you get older." Michael finished with sigh.

"You are right not to trust Lorainna though. We can't trust anything she says, so let's get the key to my expert let them look at it tomorrow while we hit up someone else in the file," Michael said as he shuffled the folder under his arm.

(OOG: Feel free to post and then tell me to start "07.25.2127 - A Boy with a Key")

Griznuq

=]V[=

Dray

This post shall be continued with "2127.07.27 - A Boy with a Key", as soon as I can write it.