- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Episode 05: A Passing

Started by Wildfire, September 17, 2005, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

Laren stared off into the darkness that surrounded him.  He had known this was coming, but he didn't know his taking the stone away would end it all. He felt a quick pang of anger toward his father for having told him.

He breathed deeply and exhaled slowly. "I had always thought I'd get myself killed before you would." He leaned forward and grabbed his father in a hug.

"I'll see you again I'm certain," Laren said as he released Alton. "Until then, I can always dream." And somehow he knew that he would.

Laren reached for the damned Gem stone, a tear streaming down his hairless cheek.
=]V[=

Dray

"Oh blessed Paladine," gasped Kit. Taken aback by his words and the power of the crystal.

Wildfire

"That would be a good idea methinks. This thing is pretty sharp and should be handled carefully." Alton puts the bloodhook on the floor lengthwise so that Laren can pick it up. These are designed so that if you miss it will come back to you. If you hit then blood keeps flowing so long as it's in the victim. You can use it to climb too."

Alton reaches into another pouch and pulls out a fist sized blue crystal. The crystal had many facets and a faint glow at it's heart. Immediately laren knew what it was...The Eye of Portence. The tingling that Kit felt earlier was now overwhelming. She knew this was no ordinary crystal.

Alton holds the Eye with both hands. He says, "This is the trouble of it all my son. I ask that you take its charge and bring it to Threshold. Levin will send someone to fetch it. This thing is what has actually kept me alive since I was...defiled. Odd how something can be the cause of your sin and salvation at the same time. You must take it now and worry not about me. My fate is already sealed. Laren, take it and send me to my sleep. You have to love me enough to let me go..."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

Kit let out a small, nervous chuckle at the predicament.

Griznuq

Laren reaches out slowly to take the item, and stops midway. He turns his hand a bit to take it from a different angle, just as his father compensates for Laren's previous angle. Laren changes angles again as his father also moves.

"Perhaps you should just put it down, and I'll pick it up?"
=]V[=

Wildfire

Alton chuckles at Kit's wincing face at the realization of her question. "Well, things could be better! Don't worry young one...I appreciate the sentiment. You rode down here with Laren...You're a good friend to him. A pretty one at that...though you look tired...and sad." Alton's spirits seemed to uplift talking to Laren and Kit. His voice didn't sound so weary and faint.

"Laren, I have something here of mine that I think you should have." Alton reaches into a large pouch next to his bed and undraws the tie strings. "Every brother and sister of the Order of the Hawk gets what's called a bloodhook." He pulls out this daggerlike blade that is hooked at the ends so that the hooks follow each other in a spin. "It's yours now Laren...I can't teach you the skill of it but there are others in Threshold who can."
Wildfire

Griznuq

In spite of the situation, Laren cracked a smile. Both laren and Alton appreciated Irony very much.
=]V[=

Dray

In the cover of the shadows, Kit quickly wiped her face of the tears. WIth her eyes lowered to the floor she stepped back into the light.

In a small nervous voice she said, "Nice to meet you Alton, how are you?"

She cringed at the stupidity of the question, offering "sorry". Her cheeks flushed as she continued to stare at the floor.

Wildfire

OOC: Yes...she's in the room but it's dark and she's sort of out of his view...
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren helps his father sit up, and turns to get kit (OOC: Whom I thought was in the room already... ?)
=]V[=

Wildfire

"You make a good point...our time together is flying away", Alton said. "What's done is done."

Alton takes another drink from his mug and tips it to Laren, "Wine. I figured if I'm gonna go it's gonna be drinking some fine vineyard. So, her name is Kit? Bring her over so I can see her face."

Alton struggles to sit up. What little strength is left in him is quickly getting spent. His hands have become withered and boney, his face is thin, and his eyes are sullen and dark. His once healthy frame is now frail and delicate. Through his efforts in sitting up it is plainly apparent that though his body is weak his spirit is strong. He'll fight to the very end.
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren took a deep breath and said "Leave the past in the past dad. All we have is now, and it's slipping away while we talk about regret."

Laren dropped his gaze to the floor for a second. He wondered if he should tell his father about the visions. Should he say that he already knew his mother was gone? That he saw it happen? As he decided not to, he lifted his head to look at his father again.

Laren could see the old sparkle in his father's eye, now fading but there nonetheless. There was something else there too, but Laren couldn't quite put his finger on it. It was as if his father knew something Laren was hiding. Laren told himself that his father couldn't know about the visions. Unless of course his father was having them too!

Laren shook his head briskly, telling himself he was just tired and being silly.

"You don't have to worry about me. I can take care of myself for the most part, and I've got a good group of friends for the rest." Laren stood. "This is Kit, one of the group. She kept me company on the ride. I should have introduced you already. You'll have to pardon my manners. We've both been awake for quite some time now."
=]V[=

Wildfire

Alton raises his frail hand and puts it to Laren's cheek. He taps him gently and says, "You remind me so much of your mother. They got to her you know. Soon...very soon I will see her again. I couldn't protect her. I could protect you though. She would have wanted it that way. She loved you so much...still does methinks. After I left you in Kurr I was so worried about you. I knew that you'd be safe in Threshold though."

Alton sits up laboredly and grabs a mug next to his bed and takes a drink. "I never meant for any of this to happen. I did what I could to fix it but it was too late. I didn't know it would lead to your mother's..." Alton choked on his words. "Or put you in the dangers way. I'm so sorry Laren. You're too young to..." Alton became short of breath and lied back down.

"Now I fear that you'll have to deal with my mess. Do you still have my Hawk ring?"

During the hushed conversation Kit had a strange sense. Some feeling from her past came back upon her. It was a tingling she felt in the Swamp of Seers. It reminded her of an energy that was all about in the murky swamp but also as elusive as air. This tingle, however, was much more powerful and brought about dark memories...memories of them. Between the scene before her and the thoughts within, Kit had no release except for the tears that continued to flow from her eyes. She somehow found the strength to keep from bursting out in open sobs. The only way out was through.
Wildfire

Dray

(OOC) Good thought Johan, I will have to check my prior threads, but if remember correctly, the jasmine scent is associated with two emotions and not just one.

Awaiting WF input.

Griznuq

Laren enters the room and kneels next to the mattress on the floor. He met his father's gaze, but said nothing.
=]V[=