- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Episode 05: A Passing

Started by Wildfire, September 17, 2005, 07:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

As the four of them started to gallop down the moonlit road to the right they could see a patch of darkness that light could not penetrate. Another howl sounded out very close now.

Star Sprinter was in full sprint and keeping a smooth even stride. He did not flinch at the howling but seemd to have kept his wits about him. As the darkness came closer trying to meet the four ahead on the road coming from the darkness could be seen a black wolf head. The difference being that this wolf was far larger than normal and appeared to have curling ram-like horns coming from it's skull.

Laren and kit could see up ahead that Murkin had pulled out his bow and was taking aim at the horned wolf. Letting his arrow fly the wolf was hit in the neck and roared in pain and slowed it's pace just a little. Murkin let another arrow go hitting the wolf in the chest. The wolf and the dark "fog" started to fall away from the two horses and their riders.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

Kit, who had stood up quickly upon hearing the wolves, almost tripped in the fire. 'Damn, I wished we could have gotten some sleep' she thought angrily. She tossed the chicken towards the direction of the howls and stuffed the jerky and bread into her backpack.

As Laren got on Star-Sprinter she kicked as much dirt on the fire as she could. She thought he was going to leave her until he spun the horse and gave her his little hand. She took it, fear of the wolves giving her the energy she needed to hop on behind him.

Murkin says, "Ride hard...we should out run them...but they clever...the're might be more of them than us".

'They're clever?' she thought, wish he had told me that BEFORE[/i] I threw the chicken.

Griznuq

Laren breathed a deep sigh. "Yes, of course. Why would there be anything less?"Laren asked no one in particular. Shaking his head while he dumped his still warm tea on the fire as he stood. The fire hissed in defiance.

"SHould we leave the fire? Wolves don't like fire, and the smell of the smoke may mask our scent?"

He didn't really wait for an answer, but went straight to lashing his bag back to the horse. He climbed up easily and settled in the saddly. He wheeled the horse around, and almost as an afterthought, put out a hand for Kit.

Laren began to mumble under his breath. shadow wolves, whatever the blazes they are... hungry I'm sure... probably just explode like everything else. His head began to jerk ever so slightly to emphasize his words.

can't get near a bloody critter without it exploding. mumblemumblemumblemumblemumm... just going to die on my at this point in... mumblemumblemumble... hope he got rid of the eye of po...mumblemumblemumblewatermelloncantalope"
=]V[=

Wildfire

Murkin and Grotik started talking in their tongue to each other. After their conversation Grotik says, "Come we must go. we don't have much time...father is very sick."

At that point a there was a distant but all too close wolf howl. The horses were startled and began to get nervous. Grotik held up his little hand high (well, high for him) checking the direction of the breeze. It was coming from the west. The howl came from the east. Grotik says, "The breeze carries the horse smell, we must leave now! Shadow Wolves are on the hunt. They have riders!"
Wildfire

Dray

The goblins, Kit and Laren sat around the fire in quiet for some time, it crackled and popped away as it ate the very light and dry wood.

Kit looked over at her new halfling friend. Her nerves were frayed from sharing her story with her Protectorate friends. Although it was hours ago, it seemed like months had passed since then. Months without sleep.

She saw that he was lost in his thought upon his father. She wondered how close they were. 'At least he will get to say goodbye to him', she thought.

A lonely tear escaped. She knew not if it were for him, or herself.

Griznuq

Laren just nodded slowly, still staring off into the fire.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Mukin and Grotik look at each other, talk in their guttural tongue, and Murkin answers, "We came here because The Hawk wanted you to travel safe. We make sure you safe."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren appeared not to notice much of anything. He didn't even look at the chicken as he sat there holding a full cup of hot tea. He seemed quiet content to stare into the flames. He did look up for a moment as he moved to sit leaning against the trunk of a knuckle-root tree.

Laren looked at the goblins. "So uh, what're your stories?" He looked back to the fire. He appeared to not have ever even heard Kit's answer to the question she had been answering. "How'd you come to Threshold?"

Laren resumed his unblinking stare into the flame. His cup of tea remained unsipped.
=]V[=

Dray

Kit eagerly reached and took the chicken, and set it in her lap on top of the jerky.

Forgetting herself, she dug her fingers into the soft meat of the breast and ripped out a section, stuffing a piece into her mouth before even looking up at Laren.

With a slight smile and a stuffed mouth she tried to apologize. Laren didn't even notice her break in etiquette.

"Thank you Murkin," she managed to say while still chewing.

Wildfire

Murkin raises his hand, "Food we have, 'nuff for everyone, wait." The two goblins go to their horse and as in the fashion before Grotik kneels down and Murkin gets up and searches through the pack. He pulls out a cloth bundle and brings it down and the two walk to the fire. Murkin unwraps the cloth revealing a whole roast chicken! He says, "it's cold but it smells good. Garret and Eldan wanted you to be fed." He hands to chicken to Kit and Laren, "Please, eat."
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren rummaged through his backpack looking for food. "I think I have some bread in here. I didn't pack well. Wasn't really prepared for a trip."

Laren pulls a fist-sized bundle wrapped in wax-paper from his bag. "Here's some cheese." Laren unwrapped the cheese and gagged. "Second thought, you probably shouldn't eat that."

After a little more rummaging he managed to produce some bread and jerky. He gave half of it to Kit and offered the rest to the goblins.
=]V[=

Dray

Kit plopped herself down by the fire. As she took a cup of tea from Laren she answered,

"Until Leech catches up with me."

She blew at the steam coming off the surface of the tea, holding the cup with slightly shaky hands. She suddenly realized how tired she was.

"Do we have anything to eat?"

Griznuq

"Yes, of course." Laren takes some small metal cups from his bag and fills them. His thoughts are clearly somewhere else.

Trying to keep his mind off the matters at hand, he says "so uh, Kit... How uh... who long do you plan to be in Threshold?"
=]V[=

Wildfire

Grotik and Murkin got off of their horse to let him rest. They spoke to each other quietly in a somewhat gutteral language. Grotik went over to the horse and kneeled down in the dirt. Murkin stepped up onto his shoulders and started to unstrap some water skins from the horse pack. He threw the skins to the ground and pulled a bundle of wired sticks and a wooden plate from the pack. He then got down and assembled the the disk and sticks into a bucket. After pouring the water from the skins into the bucket he brought it over to the horse to drink.

The two goblins went to Laren's and Kits horse and did the same. Except this time Murkin knelt on the ground and it was Grotik that searched the pack and watered the horse.

After this was done the two came over to the small fire that was made for the resting. The scarred goblin, Murkin, says, "The horses rest now and will be strong for next stretch of this ride. Is the tea ready...and can we have some?"
Wildfire

Griznuq

Laren gave a start. He seemed to only just realized that he was riding. "Huh? Oh.. Right..." He pulled the reigns and the horse stopped. Laren climbed down from the saddle and stretched. His face was a stoney scowl. he was obviously lost in thought.

"We probably have time for a quick fire, if anyone would like some tea. I think I could do with a cup." He rummaged through his bag and pulled out some tinder, and his flint. He chipped at the flit with his dagger.
=]V[=