- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

04.19.2127 - White Rascal

Started by Griznuq, March 23, 2008, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

Harrison had never experienced this sort of kindness from any adult before, and couldn't help but wonder when the bottom was going to drop out of this whole thing.

"My name is Harrison, Mr. Montegue," the hungry boy said.
=]V[=

Dray

"Monty is fine son, but points to you for politeness. Pay me back 1sp when you have it, if you never do it won't make me lose a wink of sleep," he leaned in and whispered, "cheese is free."

He started off, "Enjoy them my boy, I hope to see you again."

In an afterthought he remembered, "Oh and keep the Nutcase, refills are only 5cp!"

He started to whistle as he pushed the cart down the parkway.

Griznuq

"Oh, I'll pay you Mr. Mo... er... Monty, you rest assured!" Harrison called after him.

"And thank you!"

Delighted with his snack, Harrison climbed back to his spot in the tree and munched away, thinking about the next book he'd read.

Perhaps one about chestnuts, he thought to himself.
=]V[=

Dray

Although a bit thirsty, the cheese and incredibly tasty chestnuts warmed him to the core of his very soul. Soon after the snack, which was more filling then most meals he had at the Orphanage, Harrison caught himself dozing off and surrendered.

When he woke, the sun was low in the horizon to the west, just reaching the top of the Keep in the School District.

'This will be my favorite spot', he thought while stretching as he sat up and saddled the wide branch.

Clive still had not returned, but the cool air had and the sunlight was soon to depart, it was time to head back to the Orphanage.

Griznuq

Harrison hoped that the weather would be as wonderful tomorrow. If it was, he'd be back in that tree with a new stack of books.

Tomorrow... He'd bring food and a water skin.

Harrison began to worry a bit about Emma. He hoped things had gotten better for her.
=]V[=

Dray

The rest of the afternoon went bye like any other. Lots of kids in the common hall being kid-like at dinner. Harrison kept to himself, thinking about recent events and worrying a bit on Emma and Clive. He then retreated early to his room so Clive could readily find him there. Upon reaching the room, thankfully empty of his roommates since the hour was still early, Clive was knocking on the window.

Upon letting in the squirrel chatted at him madly, obviously perturbed at being left in the cold. He climbed on Harrison's shoulder nevertheless and licked his ear... the Clive kiss.

Harrison took the small parchment from his pet and began to read at the lantern beside his bed.

I am so happy they didn't jail you, even if a bit confused. I am laying on my stomach on a cot in the Deaconess maid quarters, my butt being sore from the lashing I received last night. I have been sentanced to a month hard labor and can't leave the church under any circumstances. Damned that Myrtle! My father probably hasn't even audienced the formal complaint yet. No doubt he will let me rot in service until the month is up. The man never looked at me on Praydays as it was, now I will be totally ignored.
Enough about me. Again, I am overjoyed they didn't arrest you, and thank you for letting Clive stay all day, he kept me laughing even as I scrubbed the toilets. Very clever too, and I bet a lot safer then sending mail through the POOSH. Send him tomorrow? It will give me something to look forward too each day.
-thanks, Emmanuelle

Dray

And so it went on for days and then weeks as the busy white squirrel made his way back and forth between the Orphanage and the Temple. Delivering a message on each trip, Harrison got to know the daughter of the High Priest, and she in turn became friends with a poor orphan boy.

A month passed, and Harrison braced himself for Emma's audience with her father. As she had suspected, she had not seen him the entire month of servitude and Harrison now knew the danger she was in at months end, for he did call upon her. He had learned a lot about the man during the last weeks, none of it good. Harrison felt helpless when the note came to him on the eve of that meeting.

Kaine willing, he won't beat me to severely, perhaps a slap across the face shall all it will entail. I still don't understand how this event spiraled this far out of control. None of the Deaconess Sisters, especially Myrtle, even talk about it anymore, its like it never happened. Wish my father felt that way. It really shouldn't be too bad though, please don't get worried about me H., I am sure everything will be fine. Clive also seems to find me no matter where I am in the church, so I will send a message as soon as I can tomorrow, hopefully father will at least relieve me of the hard labor detail.
-Emma

Griznuq

Another person beating a child. Harrison thought to himself. And this one a priest!

He made a mental note of it.

I don't understand how people in charge can be so cruel. Why doesn't someone stop them? There should be someone trying to stop them. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that when we're grown up, things wont be this way. I don't know how yet, but I will. I promise you this.

=]V[=

Dray

A day later Harrison found himself at his familiar spot, it was now almost late SpringBegin (May) and although the weather was outstanding, Harrison was not in the mood for it.

He was skimming through the Scripture of Kaine, curious on where a passage read 'Thou shalt beat thy child' but was hard pressed to find anything.

Clive found him at mid-day, which worried him as Clive was very fond of spending the whole day with Emma. He quickly unraveled the note.

I HATE HIM, I HOPE HE DIES!

Griznuq

Harrison was frustrated that things were happening, and he was powerless to stop them. He considered not sending Clive back for another trip until some time had passed. Maybe if he didn't get these notes during such a horrible peroid of Emma's life.

No, he decided. The only person that would benefit is me. She needs to know she's not alone.

Harrison knew that Clive likely brought the only levity in her lift at the moment. Besides, it was possible that the worst was over at this point.

Everyone dies, so eventually your wish will be realized. Until then, just do what you can to make him happy. Eventually we will dole out justice. Someday it will be us making descisions. Just never forgot the way you feel right now. We owe it to all the kids who will suffer if we don't make the changes. Stay strong my Emmanuelle.

Harrison's stomach knoted as he wrote the last line. He hoped it was recieved well. If Clive came back empty handed, he'd know why. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, He told himself.

"Ugh," he said outloud. "Nothing ventured nothing lost either!" He tore the note and rewrote the while thing, ending it with "Stay strong, I know you can". With a sigh of relief, he told himself it would be better to reveal feelings like that more slowly.

He fed Clive a wafer and sent the critter on his way.

A thought struck Harrison like an achorn to the head. People who make changes have a lot of money.

"I'm going to need a job! Oh, and I'm already behind!" Harrison had almost forgotten that he owed Monty money!

Harrison recalled that there was a guidance councilor (OCC I never could spell that word) at the school... He wondered if she'd be there while school was out of session.
=]V[=

Dray

Harrison in a 'no time like the present' and a bit hungry anyway, left for the School District. Although he was used to the much heavier, seasonal traffic of the Riverfront District, he still almost got hit by two carts.

'Only two today, cold! I am getting better,' he chuckled to himself.

When he finally reached the school district his stomach won the day and he headed to the common room at the orphanage instead. Just in time he made it, for he saw Millis, the lunch lady just getting off her seat to start packing up.

She had a big cauldron on the folding table in front of her and still a few clean bowls and spoons stacked neatly beside. Harrison truly appreciated the eccentricity of this old woman, she really cared about the kids and her work.

He scooted up to her and gave her a big smile.

"You are lucky, Master Harrison, that I wait an extra 15 turns any day that I don't see you during lunch hour," she said for probably the thousandth time. Smiling, she started to ladle a bowl of fish stew for him.

Griznuq

Harrison smiled widely. "Sorry to be an inconvenience. I lose track of time when I'm outside."

The stew smelled amazing. "You know," Harrison said between spoonfulls. "Someday, I will be able to repay your kindness."

Harrison made a mental note and added Millis to his "kind" list.
=]V[=

Dray

Millis let out a hearty laugh, showing off the couple of spaces where teeth were supposed to be.

"Young Master, I will up in heaven fighting alongside Master Kaine by then, but I appreciate the sentiment," she said and then started to tidy up.

"What's up for the afternoon Master Harrison?"

Griznuq

Fighting? In heaven?? No, that didn't seem right. Harrison hoped he would end up in a different heaven.

"Well, I was hoping that I would be able to find a job," he said, matter-of-factly.

"I need to start saving for," he paused for a moment. "Well, for the future, anyway."
=]V[=

Dray

"Oh really?!" Millis exclaimed, her face lighting up with glee.

"Well, well, well. We have a big festival happening at the church next weekend and are desperate for some help to prepare a feast. You want in? Seven days of work and it pays 2gp per assistant!"

She was so excited her words came out in a blur of happiness.