- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Mel Questions Amaril

Started by Johan, July 05, 2005, 11:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

"Then I suppose the two of us will both be out of practice!" T'Riad looks around at the others and says, "If anyone else would care to sharpen their martial skills you're welcome to join us. We'll be on the far side of the beack towards the corral."

T'Riad draws his blade and says to Elberrin, "My master back in Rieuwood gave me this sword. He said it's that it's the only part of our shared heritage that he can teach me. The rest I would have to learn on my own."
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Griznuq

"Not since I left the wood."
=]V[=

Wildfire

"I feel like i'm going to be clumsy with the sword. I'm so used to my other weapons. I must give it a balanced amount of time so my skill doesn't fall away. Have you ever sparred with anyone with the sword?"
Wildfire

Griznuq

"You know, food does tend to bother my stomach before morning." Elberrin ponders for a moment.

"Now that I think about it, I haven't picked up my sword but to strap it on my belt since before I got on the boat. Perhaps I shall."
=]V[=

Wildfire

"Actually no. I'm going out to reaquaint myself with the sword. I don't eat between supper and breakfast." T'Riad gets up out of his cot and looks over to Elberrin, "You're welcome to come with me if you like."
Wildfire

Griznuq

"I think they are. I for one, need some coffee. Even if they are not, I'd wager you could persuede the cook." Elberrin smirks very slightly.
=]V[=

Johan

Quote from: Matt"T,'riad, are you going to the mess hall?"

"Hey, that's a *great* idea. All this talk of food is making me hungry! Are they open this time of night?"

Mel swung down from his hammock and headed for the door mumbling something about sqeezing fey for their juice.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Griznuq

[color=green:fd9b51c166]OOC: OH! Well, in THAT case...[/color]

Elberrin puffs a quick sigh, stands and stretches.

"T,'riad, are you going to the mess hall?"
=]V[=

Johan

[color=green:e72ed67574]Yep - we all bunk together, and it's late at night.[/color]

Griznuq

[color=green:267c5b7c06]OOC: Is Elberrin in this tent too? I can't remember...[/color]
=]V[=

Wildfire

"I'm much too awake to go back to sleep", T'Riad thinks to himself. "It's been a while since I've practiced with the sword. I haven't unsheathed it since the monastary. Well, time to scratch the rust off of the skill."
Wildfire

Johan

"These are more or less my points exactly." Mel expounds. "You will that something be done and KERWHUMP!!! [he claps his hands loudly in the dark] the thing is done.

"Casters come in all different hinds, and it seems to me that it ends up that there are dozens of ways to get a job done, and each caster has his down set of predilections as to how to go about their particular kind of casting. Some are so presumptuouss as to believe that "their way" [air quotes] is best, or the only "right" [air quotes] way to get the job done."

"Mom used to regularly substitute yams in her recipes for sweet potatoes, and you know what? We were still fed, that's what."

Mel mumbled to himself for a moment before continuing on. "In Dullstrand, I knew this fellow who could cast spells, but every now and then I'd swear that he'd use a pinch of gravel instead of a pinch of sand or even dust - metaphorically speaking, of course.

There was a lady I knew in the Menowood, name of Laeritin, she made the best black bird stew...never got a beak or a finger in it, she caught the birds herself. I never did understand how she caught those things. I mean, the fly and everything. Quick and shifty too. [mumbles for a moment]. Oh, yeah, Learitin, she was very close to the animals and stuff and she told me that the material component wasn't really all that necessary anyway. Instead of using yew (not you (pointing)) she might use maple or oak. She said that it might have an impact on the spell, but the results would be essentially the same." *yawn*

"What a boring subject. Why did you bring this up, anyway?"

Dray

With his eyes closed, Amaril smiled at Mel's comment.

"The casting of priestly magic is a devotion to one's deity. I would hardly call what I and many others do as 'playing with a puppy'" he said, reaching up and using quote marks in the air, much to Mel's delight.

"Acolytes of any faith need to use the proper gestures, verbal commands and material components not only to bend the magic to their will, but to promote to their deity that they have studied in a way that he or she has deemed."

He continued, his eyes still closed, "One other thing Mel. For clerics, there is more to it then just actions which have been learned. It is that very connection to our patron god that allows the magic to come forth. That is why we pray for our spells each morning. It is yet another way divine magic is different from the arcane."

He knew he was opening the door to a flood of question from Mel, but he figured he was awake anyway.

Johan

"Rules, huh?" That word always left a sour taste in Mel's mouth. "I was kind of thinking that there were almost no actual rules, and it's more the will of the individual to...I don't know...coerce this "magic fabric" (his air quotes were lost, no doubt, to the closed eyes of his companions) into doing what you want it to do."

"I often imagine that it's a living thing; all you need to do is ask it to do what you want it to do. If it likes you, and it is your friend, it'll do what you ask. Kind of like playing with a puppie."

He was going to suggest that it must be like "working with a powerful living force", but "playing with a puppie" might get a rise out of his friend and companion, and Mel just couldn't pass up such a serendipitous opportunity.

Dray

Amaril shitfed his weight and laid on his back, after a moment [color=green:1dff6bbfbd](OOC: a real long one)[/color] he answered.

"It is because there are laws within the magic itself. Magic, sorcery, blessings, and whatever you may call it, is governed by rules. Much the same as Nature."

He stopped a moment, Mel almost questioned further before he continued, "A lion may rip the throat from its prey, a snake may leave its victim without air, the result is the same. The death of the other animal. Death is a finite constant that can occur from different causes. Magic is similar to that."

Mel thought Amaril must still be half asleep.