- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Calling upon a Friend

Started by Wildfire, March 13, 2006, 08:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

[color=green:4a9c5a5ed7]Ashe has been waiting to ask that question for a while. He just happened to get caught up with other things...[/color]
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

[color=green:6b7676832f]E-Gads, Man! I have to go bake for a while...[/color]
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Kym says, "Oh no, that's okay Maccabeus. Thanks for offering though. I've got everything under control."

Ashe says, "Wolf would almost arruredly be welcomed by the local pack that roams these parts. I'm sure that Zarion or Kym could take you to their resting spots. And you're right in that the four-legged are generally wiser than people. Their ways make more sense than the ways of many."

Ashe continues, "Speaking of wisdom, Your mentor, Shankaria, sounds like the wise one in your tribe. Tell me, what's she like? What made her choose you as one to impart her knowing upon?"
Wildfire

Johan

"Do you need any help?" Maccabeus called over, hoping that the answer would be "no".

"I think it's a good idea." Maccabeus continued. "If we could bring some of Wolf's genes to the pack down here, we'd have that much more of a force to fight against the shadewolves. I'm not too concerned about letting the wolves into the Ring; four-leggeds tend to be more wise than people, especially in the ways of Mahiya. They wouldn't disrupt the peace of the area. I'll think on it, and maybe talk to Wolf."

Wildfire

"Well, it's up to you my friend. Remember that the bramble will only allow those you want to enter. although I'm sure Wolf might entertain the idea of some similar company." Ashe says.

"Kym chimes in, "Well, sure you can come hunting with me too Maccabeus. I sort of figured that was understood...but I never actually said it did I? Pardon my oversight. Anytime you want you just let me know and the three of use will go on a hunt. It'll get you more famialiar with the area. We'll have to stay on the west side of the river though. Julius has said that the east side is a bit dangerous right now."

She wnaders to the back where the kitchen is and yells out, "Dad, is the fish ready yet? Ashe, Mac, and Wolf are here for some breakfast!"

From the back is a reply, "Yeah, it's almost done. Bring them some cider or feyjuice or something...bread too...I'll be out shortly."

Kym returns with three mugs and a bowl of milk. She places the bowl in front of Wolf and a mug in front of Ashe and Maccabeus. She then gets a decanter and pours a levendar colored juice into all three of the mugs.
Wildfire

Johan

"If it's not too much bother, Wolf and I can both join you. I'm a fairly capable hunter myself; most Dale gnomes are, actually. As for she-wolves, I think Wolf can make those introductions himself! He's not really shy when it comes to such things, but he also doesn't want to join a pack, nor interrupt one. At least, that's my sense."

Maccabeus's eyes went narrow a bit then. "I wonder if we can't convince a small pack to take up residence at the Ring?" He looked to Ashe, so as to have his idea reflected to him. "I've been antsy about letting all manner of people traipse through the Ring, but that might make me a little more at ease. People would only come along if they are in true need, and any foullings that happen along would be met with a fair guard. Not only that, but Wolf could have his pack too, and when I must be away for some reason, there would always be some of Mahiya's blessed remaining to protect the Ring." He raised a pointed eyebrow at Ashe. "Jarmok might be able to help enlist them?"

Wildfire

"I'd love to run the wilds that Orion and the Antlered Giant once ran. Unfortunately my Dad says, that I'm still young to be doing that alone...even though I've proven myself time again as capable hunter. I think he's just protective of his only daughter. I take it as a compliment. someday though..." Kym opened the door to the lodge and let everyone pass in.

"Hey, maybe Wolf would like to go hunting with me someday..." She crouches down and scratches behind both of his ears, "would you like that you big baby?" Kym then starts to speak in a series of growls whines and body movements. Maccabeus recognizes some of the wolf language but can't fully understand what she's saying to him.

Ashe just starts to chuckle at Kym's playful, puppy-like manner. "Come on you silly girl...let's get some food!"

Before getting up Kym winks and says to Maccabeus, "Y'know, there are some beautiful she-wolves that I know that would probably love to meet him."
Wildfire

Johan

"Unfortunately, no." Maccabeus answered. "At least, not at first. The wolves likely would, and that would be of help to you, but people are people, and our minds tend to occlude the perception of our spirits. They'd believe once it was pointed out to them, though."

Maccabeus considered the girl for a moment. "Perhaps one day I'll take you there." He said. "Distance is really the only excuse for not meeting them."

Wildfire

"I imagine he must! Someday I'll have to eat with your tribe Maccabeus. If my grandfather knew your grandsire then I don't see much excuse for not meeting your people. Do you think they'd recognize me after having known him?" Kym asked. Maccabeus could hear her lineage echoing through her voice. Wolf seemed to pay close attention when she spoke as if she was speaking his language too.
Wildfire

Johan

"Sounds like a spread to be yearned for." Maccabeus said, his own saliva starting to flow. There's a giant flightless bird that lives in the dale; we call them Plainstriders. Some clans have domesticated them and use their eggs too. They're eggs are near the size of my head, so you can feed the whole clan off of just a few. Mix in some of the fungus that grows at the foot of our trees, and a jam made from the sap of a maple tree, and you've got a regular feast!"

Maccabeus walked the last few steps to the Hunter's Lodge with a spring in his step. "I didn't realize just how hungry I had become!" He observed. "Wolf must sense the wolf in you, m'lady. He never likes anyone as much as he likes you!"

Wildfire

"Ah, Maccabeus I can see you've been teaching the old crow here something of manners towards a woman, eh?" Kym winked at him and gave him a big smile. "Too answer your question though, many people here raise chickens for their eggs and use them for breakfast. Others eat salted pig or venison. Myself, I prefer fish...fresh from the river. And on the side some of Belshazzar's buttered bread...with feyberry jam, of course. Oh, I forget to mention a mug of cider...unfermented. How does that sound to you? I was downright lucky in catching some extra fish this morning...eight to be exact...which is eight more than I usually catch! Dad's cooking 'em up righ now. Seeing as to how a few of the others are out hunting right now we'll have the meal all to ourselves."

Kym walks out to greet Wolf. Wolf, usually staying near Maccabeus, runs out to meet her. Maccabeus reads Wolf's body language and knows that he's taking a fond liking to her. Moreso than to even members of his own tribe in the Dale of Wolves.
Wildfire

Johan

Quote from: wildfireAshe was surprised at Maccabeus's casual way of mentioning hunting the shadewolves. "They are tough creatures...not entirely natural either. They carry an esence of shadow with them. Hence the name...shadewolf."

"My grandsire taught me much about the shadewolves." Maccabeus said ominously. "He learned from the Great Hunter himself, and during his rearing of me he taught me continuously. Just before I went to apprentice under Shankaria, my grandsire brought me out to see how well I had attended his lessons. He followed me while I tracked and killed ten of the filthy beasts. That was when Wolf and I first met, if you take my meaning. I'm no great hunter, but I know those foullings well. Better than most, I'd wager. It's thier teeth that adorn my spear." He held up his spear and showed Ashe where, hidden along the shaft, were a number of overly large canine teeth worked into the wood, and nearly invisible.

"Dammit!" The splendid voice of Wolfjaw's granddaughter brought Maccabeus's head up from the ground, and his mind out of his past. He watched on while she and Ashe bantered slightly. Kymberly was the most magnificent human he had ever met, not that he had met too many of them.

"That's no mere flattery he speaks, lady." Maccabeus heard himself say. "Truer words I've not yet heard." He smiled grandly, wondering what he had just uttered. "Ah, what's customary for breaking one's fast in these parts?" He asked.

Wildfire

Ashe was surprised at Maccabeus's casual way of mentioning hunting the shadewolves. "They are tough creatures...not entirely natural either. They carry an esence of shadow with them. Hence the name...shadewolf."

The three of them drew closer to Hunter's Lodge and the smell of food made them all the hungrier. Maccabeus could see that Wolf for a while now was growing anxious at the smell of the food. Beyond the Lodge could be heard the dull roar of "The Hammer". It was named such because of it's relentless pounding oon the rocks below. The tributary river that feeds The Hammer is called the chisel for the cut that it has made over the years into the rock of the hills.

Noticing the saliva dripping from Wolf's mouth Ashe remarks, "Are you looking forward to the plate of meat again? I would be too if I were you."

Kym was standing on the porch and seemed to be wilding a block of wood. Suddenly she shakes her hand and says, "Dammit!" As she puts her finger in her mouth she looks up and sees the three approaching. "You just couldn't stay away could you?"

Ashe smiles and says, "With a beauty such as yours how could any man?"

Kym bliks her eyes and coyly retorts, "Ashe, you flatter me so. And flattery will get you everywhere. What are you three hungry for this morning?"
Wildfire

Johan

"Various ways." Maccabeus answered off-handedly. "But from a distance preferrably. It's interesting that you note that you've heard the shadewolves lately. Wolf and I heard them the very first night that we were here. I was more or less hoping to have left them behind, you know? They're fairly vile things."

"Still, we've only heard young ones thus far." Maccabeus continued. "Once we are truly settled, I might just take to hunting them again, before they come to adults and are all the tougher then."

Wildfire

"Giants almost never come down here." Ashe says, "they mostly stay in their high mountains. There used to be all sorts of watchtowers with garrisons around here back in the days of the Old Kingdom to keep the giants away. Eventually the giants just moved on or gave up trying to plunder. Shadewolves on the other hand roam the tortured lands north and east of here. They never come to Threshold though. Although I've been hearing them in the distance the last few weeks."

"How do your people deal with the ginats and shadewolves?"
Wildfire