- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

A Dusty Return

Started by Wildfire, July 25, 2005, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

[color=green:e093042079]OOC: Yes, Sayer is from Kurr[/color]

Thurgin indulging the question answers, "Well, the road does get a little pocked during Venric and Sythus with the harsh and wet weather. It doesn't much matter in Venric since no one does any traveling much...'cept of course 'round town. After Convergance us farm hands repair the road from big to little so that it's an easier ride. Years ago they talked about cobblin' the whole stretch but then they started building the gate to the Valley and our road got put on hold. Someday maybe..."

As soon as the incident of the "demon" is mentioned Thurgin sort of quiets so as to hear the banter...

As Sayer is listening to the "demon" conversation he notices that the wagon is starting to pull by Ragnar.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Phineas

Sayer's keeps his conversation with Thurgin light and friendly, and tactfully redirects questions about himself or his business back to Thurgin.  When Thurgin asks about Sayer's origin, Sayer responds that he travelled long from Kerr [color=green:af9b90cd1d](is that where Sayer is from?)[/color], but quickly comments on the conditions of the roads and asks about if they've been muddy/dusty/overgrown/pocketed for a while -- how does Thurgin manage the cart on such roads?

As the conversation turns to the recent events concerning Kyle, Sayer will listen and guage the reaction of the others.  Are they comfortable discussing this?  Are they fearful?  Do they feel secure that the matter has been resolved?

Blackspear

As Dale listens to Maal's tale, he wonders how she got the scar on her lip.   She certainly isn't bothered by it.   She seems to wear it as a badge of honor.   He wishes that he could get over the jagged scar on his own face....

He remembers the painful night when his father's lackeys finally caught him.   He had been running for nearly three years.  His luck had finally run out.    As his attackers pinned him to the cobblestoned alley, he could hear rats scurrying frantically away.   Then he heard a blade escape its sheath and he saw the leader of the thugs pull out a long, crooked dagger.   With an evil smile he spoke in a gravelly voice, "This is because you look to much like your dear old Dad."  He grabbed Dale by the hair at the front of his head and placed the blade by his left cheek.   He could feel the cold blade touch his skin.   He began to panic and struggle anew.   His efforts were futile.   As he struggled, the ugly assailant began to slice into his face with the crude weapon.   The assassin took his time enjoying the anguish and pain displayed in Dale's eyes.   That was the killer's mistake.   Wthout realizing what happened, a series of terryfying loud screams erupted with glowing red flashes in the night.   The flashes struck the assassin full in the chest driving him forcefully off of Dale.   The other assassins turned to face their attacker.  They saw an elderly man dressed in dark flowing robes standing at the end of the alley.   The aged wizard shouted to Dale "Run, run for your life boy!"   The assassins slowly began to approach the wizard with their weapons drawn.   Before the assassins could reach the wizard he raised his gnarled old staff and cried out "VOLTINUUUUUM!!!"   Dale looked over his shoulder as he ran and saw a brilliant multiforked bolt of lightning strike all four of his attackers to the ground.    Dale stopped running.   He cautiously made his way back towards the wizard who was leaning on his staff and breathing heavily.   Dale could smell burnt flesh and hair as he passed the dead thugs.   As he arrived next to the wizard, he stuck his hand out and said "Dalyhas Bal X'ulnathra.   Well met."   The wizard shook his head slowly and said, "Let's do introductions later boy, you need help.   Those brutes nearly cut yer face off!"  Only then did Dale notice the pain emanating from the left side of his face.   After a few short, panicked breaths Dale blacked out...

To this day Dale wears a full beard in a bad attempt to hide his ugly scar.
His dark thoughts go on for a while as the wagon continues to rumble its way towards Threhold.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

fraz

Quote from: Blackspear"Huh?  What animal did he take shape as?"  Dale turns to Maal and asks her "How did you solve the problem?   What caused the infection?"

Maal Brengain hacks up some more dark-colored phlegm and clears her throat.  She looks over to Dale, staring directly at him with her black eyes.  Despite the cupful of water, her voice is still raspy as she answers his question:

"'E took th' shape o' a rat.  I know not th' cause o' such illnesses, Ashe cured th' three boys tha' were infected by th' rat-man, Rawlin'.  But fer Rawlin' himself, only death waited.  My companion, Jarmok, hacked him up with 'is axe and 'is severed 'ead was brought back ta Julius."

Maal's scarred upper lip curls up awkwardly into a sneering smile.  A chipped upper tooth (just beneath the scar) shows conspiculously from within her mouth.
nothing

Blackspear

"Huh?  What animal did he take shape as?"  Dale turns to Maal and asks her "How did you solve the problem?   What caused the infection?"   Dale is very curious about this, just in case he runs into some strange animal lunatic.   He's beginning to wonder why so much wierd stuff is happening around Threshold, but he keeps his thoughts to himself so that he doesn't scare the farmers.   He just bounces along in the rickety wagon as they make their way back to this strange new town.
Blackspear
"My first encounter with a dragon was fortuitous.  I lost my mount, had the chain torn from my chest, and was pinned to the ground by a claw that pierced my leg.   I would limp for the rest of my life, but I never felt more alive...

Wildfire

Jarro, slightly annoyed with Daniel, turns to Dale and replies, "There was no demon. It was just a sick man who would take an animal shape. He infected some of the kids in town. They were rescued again yesterday...the details of which I haven't heard. Right now they're back at Ashe's."

"Would anyone else care for some water?"
Wildfire

Blackspear

Dale looks at Maal and sees that while the water did some good for her complexion, he's not convinced that it helped her all that much.   Although he is impressed with her ability to tough it out(Particularly the distance she's getting on each and every ball of spit.  No one ever spit that far back in Kerr.  Then again you'd probably hit four or five people if you tried),  Dale is beginning to get worried about the young amazon warrior.   In an effort to keep her mind engaged on something other than her suffering, Dale picks up on the young farmer's cue,"Demon huh?  What's that all about?"
Blackspear

fraz

Quote from: wildfireIn the hold of the wagon the older man looks to Maal and says, "Lass, perhaps a drink will soften your throat and bring some color back to ye." He opens the lid on a water barrel and dunks a dipper filling it with water. He then hands the handle to Maal. "Oh, I'm Jarro by the way."

Maal receives the dipper and nods to Jarro.  "Thank ye, Jarro," she rasps, through a dust and phlem clogged throat.  She takes a long pull from the cup, draining it entirely in one gulp and then wipes the sweat and dust from her face with her forearm.
nothing

Wildfire

After talking with the driver, Sayer (and those who are listening) learns that they are farm hands returning from a day's work of turning the soil. They are very kind and offer water to any that want it. The workers (6 in total) are of various ages ranging from teen to mid-life. The driver's name is Thurgin and the people in the wagon are related to him in some way. Thurgin and the others show the hallmarks of the working folk: calloused hands, simple clothes, and a strong look.

Thurgin asks Sayer, "So where are you from good fellow? My bet is the city...given your fineries. What brings you 'round these parts? The coming fests? For someone from the city you look a bit...ah...dusty, if you pardon my words."

Just up ahead is Ragnar walking towards Threshold.

In the hold of the wagon the older man looks to Maal and says, "Lass, perhaps a drink will soften your throat and bring some color back to ye." He opens the lid on a water barrel and dunks a dipper filling it with water. He then hands the handle to Maal. "Oh, I'm Jarro by the way."

The youngest worker asks the group, "I heard that you helped Kyle and the others from that nasty demon...is that true?" Jarro shoots a look at the young teen and sternly says, "Daniel! Don't trouble them with such questions. They're tired and probably want some ease." He turns back and urges, "Please...drink."
Wildfire

Phineas

Quote from: Maccabeus"Oh," he added, "if you would like to stay you're more than welcome."
Sayer graciously declines, stating that he has a report to prepare for Julius.  "Sleep well under the stars, and I look forward to our next meeting."

Johan

"Hmm?" Maccabeus seemed a little distractedupon hearing the fancy man's question. "Oh, no." He answered as he smiled at his companion. "I figure on staying out here tonight to see if any more of those... things come out. In the morning I think I'll look into what I can do to help that poor plant back to health. By this time of year it should be home to scores of birds, thousands of insects, and should probably be beginning to birth some blueberries."

The little man looked wistfully at the sorry Shrubbery. "Poor thing is suffering badly. I Should be able to help it somewhat." He turned back to his tall, cadaverous companion  and smiled again." Don't worry. I haven't yet explored that marvelous city. I'd be back there  tomorrow night. I still owe that Kelton fellow for a meal too." He then seemed to consider  something. "Oh," he added, "if you would like to stay you're more than welcome."
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Phineas

Sayer would have consulted with Maccabeus before accompanying Dale and Maal on the road to town (primarily: are you coming back to town with us? If not, why not; when will we meet again).  He would also ask the group for the whereabouts of Ragnar [color=green:471638d354](I'm not clear if we were told by Ragnar that he was leaving ahead of us)[/color].

Along the walk back, Sayer's only words would be declaring his intention to write out a full, concise report for Julius, concentrating only on the facts from our investigation.  These two traveling associates are neither talkative nor social, and Sayer's counsel experience has taught him to chat only when it is welcomed.

When offered a ride back to town, Sayer is humble and gracious to the driver, and clambers awkwardly onto the back.  Sayer will evaluate the driver with a couple of simple, casual social questions, and based on the driver's responses, will either sit in silence, or talk with the driver until we reach town.

[color=green:471638d354][Edit]: I missed the part about workers being in the cart as well.  Sayer will initiate casual conversation with all willing participants -- he will not converse exclusively with the driver.[/color]

fraz

Maal Brengain's demeanor is silent and sullen as she plods her way down the road toward town...

After the cart stops for them she stubbornly waves off Dale's offered hand.

She then violently coughs up a wad of ash-colored phlegm and spits it upon the ground before leaping up into the back of the farmer's wagon.  Her face seems somewhat peaked, somehow even paler than usual, but she obviously still has the same muscle strength that she did before and is able to exert herself in bursts of energy.

Yet she continues to cough up the dark colored phlegm during the entire ride back to town and is unabashed in her ability to spit it a good distance off the cart as they roll along.
nothing

Blackspear

Looking at Maal slowly making her way down the dusty road, Dale speaks up,"Aye a ride to town would be great!  We're much obliged.  I'm Dale and this is my friend Maal. (If Sayer is with us I'll introduce him too.)   We're on our way to visit Ashe Pryassant."   Dale hops into the back of the wagon and extends a hand out to the wounded warrioress.  He wonders if she'll be offended by the gesture.
Blackspear

Johan

Quote from: green:3bbe63ead8Are we talking about the same Phin?!? 8O [/color]
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank