- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Dreams of a Tortured Soul

Started by Wildfire, March 07, 2006, 07:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildfire

Zurn eyes shifted back and forth as he searched his memory to see if there was anything that he had been taught on this particular plant. At the present time he couldn't remember. However, he got the obvious sense that he was about to learn about another of Ehlonna's great gifts.
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Dray

With a raised eyebrow, Vallen looked inquisitively at the lady fair.

"Ehlonna's Lichen My'Lady?" he asked.

Johan

Coris shook his head sadly. "I think you're right, Brother Zurn." He said. "His body is likely devoured by now, given the company that he kept. But my thinking is that we don't necessarily need a body." He looked questioningly at Lady Corryn who became somberly thoughtful.

"If he is dead, but not at rest," She reasoned, "then he must be haunting the area about the chasm. I think that we would need to find his specter, which should be near where he was killed. He could then either lead you to his remains, or perhaps it would only be necessary to sanctify the location of his death."

Coris's head bobbed in agreement as Lady Corryn spoke. "That would have the added benefit of making that area uninhabitable to Vorntok's minions."

"I could give them Ehlonna's Lichen." Lady Corryn whispered.

A smile snaked its way across Coris's face and into his eyes. "Yup." He said, his head bobbing thoughtfully.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

'A fine question', Vallen thought.

Wildfire

Zurn spoke up, "Well I be wonderin' thet meself. It dunna seem likely that his body be in the same place as before. An' serchin' the valley with all the gargan be a bit foolhardy methinks. Is there any divine way o' speckin' out where he be?"
Wildfire

Johan

"We did not." Coris admitted tiredly.

"Brother Valen," Lady Corryn addressed the druid as she let go of his hand and picked up a wooden goblet to drink from. "That Melzak didn't use arcane magic...he was a divine caster."

"True." Coris agreed. "You have to understand," he continued. "While not making excuses, I will say that we were hurt and exhausted. When we got the report that Melzak was dead, it was from a trustworthy source and we didn't question it. That Melzak was tertiary at the time, and not our primary concern."

Lady Corryn continued for a moment, saying, "We also need to remind ourselves that we don't know whether this Melzak of yours is the same person as the Melzak of our past."

There was a fair silence then, while all present idled in their own thoughts.

"Our question tonight is what is to be done now." Coris observed. "How do we salvage Dannobar's soul from the Vulture King?"

Wildfire

"I would say ye be right," Zurn said. "But much o' tha' depends on the manner o' Melzak's death." Turning to the Capatain and the Lady Zurn asks, "How did the little trickster die? Did ye see him dead?"
Wildfire

Dray

"Perhaps if Melzak was a Master of Tricks and Lies his performance the day of Vorntok's death was exemplary?" Vallen said, finally coming out of his daze.

"He must have used powerful arcane magic to make it appear he died?" he posed.

Wildfire

"Huh...well, we could be spendin' the rest o the night trying ta figure out who this Melzak is and not be any closer to the truth. But he be out there I assure ye. And it be me guess tha' he be knowing much of the histaory o what ye speak. What ye be thinkin' 'bout this, Belwar...Vallen?" Zurn asked
Wildfire

Dray

Vallen continued to stare at the fair hand which grasped his own.

Johan

"It was certainly my understanding that Melzak had been destroyed." Coris answered. "As for exactly what part of the mountains Vorntok was from, I can't say. It could easily have been that area or any other. But it was from those mountians that surround this forest."

Wildfire

"...and to yer knowledge Melzak was likewise destroyed?" Zurn asked. "Now ye said tha' he, Vorntok, be from the mountains to tha' west...be it a part tha be near ta us? Say, the valley we stumbled inta? Tha' is where we bumped Dannobar" Zurn inquired with great curiosity.
Wildfire

Johan

Coris shifted in his heavy wooden chair. Lady Corryn, still holding Vallen's hand gently, shared a momentary, sad glance with the captain.

"A dozen years ago or more," he began heavily. "Lady Corryn and I were still young." He laughed as he stared affectionately at Lady Corryn. "Well, time has been far kinder to you, Sister, than to me." They smiled ruefully. "We were near the beginning of our careers, as you are now. Vorntok was a half orc, half ogre pretender, aiming at immortality and deism. He was insane, and? his brow furrowed as he thought for a moment, ?he hailed from the mountains that surround this forest, if I recall.?

?He did.? Lady Corryn agreed.

?Vorntok was gathering a force to worship him, and he had the unfortunate luck to court me into his fold. He wanted to seduce worshippers from our Lady of the Forest to worship him, that he might rise in power and eventually supplant our lady. It was for this reason that he selected the vulture as his totem animal: the vulture, he said, would devour the creatures of the forest much as he himself would devour our lady.?

?Seems he must still have the same goal.? Lady Corryn observed.

?Indeed.? Coris agreed. ?At that time, he did have a gnome working for him; a master of tricks and lies named Melzak. The short end of the story is that a team of our Brothers and Sisters, lead by Lady Corryn ventured forth and vanquished Vorntok. He was obliterated by our combined holy might. The conflict left many of our Brothers and Sisters dead, but I personally saw to it that Vorntok?s dead body was destroyed. We disembodied him and spread the parts far and wide. Everyone took a part to a different, secret location and disposed of it. We never spoke of it again. To our understanding, no one knew where more than a single part of the remains was.?

?Somebody seems to have found out, though. Brother.? Lady Corryn suggested. Corris hung his head and supported by a splayed hand, seemingly lost in thought. Or memory, perhaps.

Wildfire

Zurn looks to Belwar, "Well I ain't sayin' ya should not a killed him. Things being what they were, he'd've killed us dead if'n he had the chance. What I be sayin' is that he was mislead. He was lusted after by the vulture who probly promised him power and salvation. Now, everyone makes their own choices in life that's true. But Dannobar, at heart, be a good man. Besides, Ehlonna not be given up on him, so neither will I. She be weepin' fer his soul."

Zurn looks to Lady Corynn and Captain Coris and says, "Please, Lady, Cap'n,  what do ye know 'bout the Vulture King, Vortok?"
Wildfire

Griznuq

"Wait" Belwar said, beer still dripping from the ends of his mustache. "Are ye sayin I shouldn'ta killed him?"
=]V[=