- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

04.19.2127 - White Rascal

Started by Griznuq, March 23, 2008, 10:52:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Only 5 turns after Millis departed into the Church, merchants started to come. While most arrived with a simple single cart of goods, once in awhile one would arrive with crates bigger than Harrison. Some merchants had huge wagons pulled by multiple horses. Luckily, all of the merchants must have been told that no assistance to unload goods would be available at the Church. For every teamster brought plenty of additional hands to move the crates, barrels, bags and bundles near, around and under the canopy. Quite a few of these hands were kids from the school, and more than one of them said to Harrison, "how did you land this sweet job?!"

Harrison merely had to count items, inspect inside containers and get signatures and company names. Fairly easy day at work and he met quite a few really nice people. There wasn't a single Teamster or hired hand that so much as frowned at Harrison and everyone seemed pretty happy to be there.

In the early afternoon, Leslie Marks and her Dad showed up and went into the kitchen. With a big smile, Leslie waved to Harrison with her free hand as her father lead her inside.

Harrison met quite a few people that day, most of them employed in the Riverfront or Warehouse districts, in all it was a fairly fun day. Millis even brought him snacks and lemonade from the kitchen.

It was late in the day when Monty showed up pushing a cart that was rather large and looking very tired from the effort.

Griznuq

Harrison took the time to greet everyone who came by politely, and he took in as much detail about them as he could. If he had to live here, he might as well get to know the people and their particulars.

As the merchants and regular people came through, Harrison made many observations. The merchants were always more chatty than the regular people, and they soldom wore anything that could be classified as less than "fine". They were almost always just a bit heavier, to downright fat, whereas the common folk were generally a bit more trim. Harrison wondered why these differences existed. He'd figure it out one day. For now, he was content on learned what was. He'd save "why" for later.

Harrison almost jumped at the site of Monty. He quickly went to meet the older fellow and helped with the Cart.
=]V[=

Dray

"Oh a thousand thanks Master Harrison, you are a good lad." Monty said, and they pushed the cart to underneath the canopy.

"Well there you go lad, that is my donation to this grand event. If you would be so kind to just put in the particulars on that there piece of paper, I will be on my way. And what a lovely walk back it will be without that it, thank the Fate," Monty said and stood up while bending backward, giving his back a nice crack.

Griznuq

Ouch! Harrison winced at the crack. "You're welcome Monty," he said.

He dug his hand down into his pocket and pulled out the money he owed to Monty.

"I believe I owe you this," he said, pressing the coins into Monty's hand.
=]V[=

Dray

Monty looked at the coin, smiled at the lad and then took it gently from his hand.

"Lad, you will grow up to do great deeds one day, for you have an honest and noble heart," he said, and with that he clicked the coins together in his hand and put them in his belt pocuh.

"Thank you so much son. Anytime you want to come to my house and have some dinner, my door will always be open to you. I have a daughter named Luminda who is your age, I think she would like you as much as I," he said and turned to head back the way he came.

After a few steps he turned and looked at Harrison for a moment and then made a descision. "Don't take the Church to seriously, ok son," he said as he pointed at the Spire above. "He isn't worthy of you."

With that, Monty walked into the setting sun.

Griznuq

Harrison was confused by that statement. he'd never heard an adult say anything like that before, except for his mother.

I wonder how many other adults think that way, he wondered to himself.

He and Monty'd have to talk someday, he decided. Harrison decided that he'd have to see if the older fellow needed an assistant or anything. He'd have to remember to get some books about cooking nuts and such.
=]V[=

Dray

Only a few turns after Monty had departed, Clive returned just before Millis (with her gigantic head - ROFL) hailed Harrison from the entry of the kitchen.

"Come on in for supper boy!" she said with a smile.

Knowing how good the meal was in the Gypsy Kitchen the previous day, his stomach answered with a growl. "Be right in Millis!"

He handed a wafer to Clive and opened the message from Emmanuelle.

You are such a goof! I bet Clive loves your pocket...if only I could make myself small enough, he and I could hide on each side of you and I wouldn't have to walk these halls ever again. Today was a good day though, no visitors except the maids with cleaning duties and meal times. I am locked in my father's study, since my own bedroom is under renovation in order to make it into "a big girl's room". Pfft, whatever! Anyway, while looking at all the books on my father's towering bookcases I discovered that one of the them is a secret door! Behind it were all of these strange and fantastic books with these ancient symbols and drawings. Tonight I am going to grab one and keep it near my pillow of my knapsack for quick hiding should he come in while I am reading. Scribe you all the details tomorrow!
-Emma

Griznuq

Phew, she found humor, and seems to be a lot less mushy, Harrison thought. If she intended to write to him again tomorrow, he'd have to get Clive back there tonight...

"Gosh Clive," he said, heading over toward the kitchen. "A far shorter run for you while I'm here, huh? If only I had some time other than night to scribe notes, I could send you back and forth during the day a half a dozen times!"

Cliver chittered a response that almsot sounded excited.

Thoughtfully, the boy looked at the cathedral. It was an awefully big building, there had to be a place that visitors could stay the night somewhere in there. Maybe Millis knew.

Harrison found himself in a very good mood, as the day was, so far, fruitful and enjoyable. He found that he may have an adult he could eventually confide in and maybe learn from. He'd earned a day's pay. He got a very fast reply from Emma, and he was able to spend the day in the sunshine of a beautiful day.

The smells of many different foods wrapped around Harrison's head like a towel as he got close to the door. "What smells so incredible, Ms. Millis??" he asked warmly.
=]V[=

Dray

"Just about everything that the Kingdom has to offer Master Harrison," she said and gave him a pat on the back as he came in. "I have a spot for you as we have already started to eat. If you like, the decorations committee has asked us for a little help cutting paper ribbons after our feast. It will only be another hand or two of your time."

Millis gestured to an empty spot next to Leslie who was turned and looking at him in anticipation, most likely ready with another big story. His spot already had a heaping plate of food at it.

"But for now, just enjoy the good eats eh?" Millis said.

Griznuq

Harrison eagerly skipped over to the table, trying his best to look like a child who had nothing on his mind other than food.

Unmodified bluff roll: 17

Harrison had no trouble looking hungry, because he was infact very much so.

Harrison found particular pleasure in the green veggies, smothered with butter. The veggies themselves were long and tubular, with a tappered bulb on the end. Other kids around his age watching him eat them with looks of distaste. Must not be a common favorite he thought to himself.

After eating a few things, he began to look around the room, trying to commit everything to memory. The room, the furniture, the people, the silverward, the tapestries, etc. No such thing as useless observation he said to himself.

It was a saying his mother had always said.
=]V[=

Dray

The food was even better than the night before. Butter-slathered honeybread rolled in cinnamon, the main course was chicken again but this time laden within some thick cheese sauce, the delicious veggies, a soup that was made from the chicken broth and had a tangy spice, a baked potato bigger than his head....it was all incredibly delicious.

Leslie told him some long fable of battle, with a huge Karh'Thul commanding hundreds of the demons and fighting two full brigades of the Out-Rim Defense. She was actually a bit too boisterous and graphic in her story telling, so much so that a bigger girl got disgusted and told her to shush, so she whispered to him the rest. She had an incredible way with words, and in his mindseye he could see the scenes of death, battle and glory like he had actually been there. He wondered where a girl of only seven got such stories.

As he listened to Leslie he looked about the room and all the chaos within it. Dirty pots and pans were stacked behind him, ready for cleaning that would take some poor souls half the night. Finished works of culinary arts were stacked in boxes and sitting on massive blocks of ice, ready to be moved to freezer vaults adjacent to the kitchen. It amazed him that they were able to preserve ice this far into the months of the warmer season.

Too soon they had all finished their meal and Harrison knew that if he didn't get his legs going, the meal would put him to sleep in mere turns. He followed Leslie and a few other kids into an adjoining room where another team of kids was already cutting long streamers from rolls of colored parchment. He quickly got to work beside Leslie and offered her the last seat, afraid he would fall asleep in it anyway.

The two hands passed bye quickly as they listened to the cooks sing and frolic in the other room.

Leslie's father came to collect her and she wished him a good night. Millis came over as they left. "Alright my lad, I don't have any other coin for you until the festival is over, but I would like to offer you my sincere thanks for an excellent work day. I looked at the merchant logs and they look great, and for you to stay awake, let alone actually make streamers after such a heavy meal is a compliment to your stamina."

Griznuq

Harrison gave her a half smile, and let his eyes droop a bit. "I'm just having so much fun, the time flew by without me noticing!"

He yawned, and rubbed an eye with a knuckle. "I am awefully tired though. Do you think there's a place here in the building I could sleep? It's a long walk back home, and I'd hate to disturb anyone who is already asleep. There are lots of little kids there."
=]V[=

Dray

"Well your staying at the church isn't the issue, although a securing a bed might be. With the festival only 4 nights away there are a lot of people in the Church these days," she said and thought for a few moments while she rubbed her chin.

"I have one spot, may be a bit small, but it will be private and warm," she said.

She lead him away from the table of streamers and farther into the church. Harrison followed her along a myriad of servant corridors and back stairwells until she finally stopped under one of them.

"Here we are," she said and pointed underneath a wooden staircase. On the floor lay a cot mattress on the floor that actually looked like it was in decent shape. A shelf with a small lantern hung just a two feet above it.

"This is one of many temporary spots we have all about the servant's quarters for when the place gets full during times like these. You will find it very quiet back here as no one really uses this corridor or this stairwell," she said with a smile.

Griznuq

"Oh, this will work just fine, thanks very much Ms. Millis!"

The cot invited him warmly, but sleep seemed to be chased away by the thought of writing his next letter.
=]V[=

Dray

"Your welcome young Master. There is a bathroom down the hall that way, last door on the left. Other than that, don't do much wandering about, the Elite Guard of the Church walk around with weapons drawn , if you get my drift," she said with a wink.

"Sleep well, I will check on you in the morning," she said as she walked away while humming a little ditty.