- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

GOVERNMENT: Crime And Punishment

Started by Dray, February 20, 2008, 10:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Adultery – Prison for 1 to 5 years.
* Aiding and Abetting - punishment will befit to the crime, although it will not exceed sentance given to original perpetrator.
* Assault – Stockades from 1 to 6 days OR prison term of up to a year.
* Attempted Murder – prison term of 1 year to 5 years AND/OR hard labor of 1 to 5 years
* Burglary – Prison from 14 days to a year.
* Destruction of Government Property – Hard labor for up to 5 years.
* Destruction of Property – Hard labor for up to 5 years.
* Disorderly Conduct – Stockades for 1 to 6 days OR prison term of up to a year.
* Disturbance of Government Function – Stockades from 1 to 6 days AND prison of up to 1 year.
* Domestic Abuse – Prison for up to 5 years.
* Falsification of Record – Stockades from 1 to 6 days OR prison term of up to a year.
* Murder – prison term of 5 years to life AND/OR hard labor for 5 years to life OR execution.
* Pregnancy before Majority – Mother; convent during pregnancy AND 1 year hard labor. Father; 2 years hard labor.
* Public Disturbance - Stockades for 1 to 6 days OR prison term of up to a year.
* Robbery – Prison from 30 days to 2 years.
* Rape – Prison for up to life or execution.
* School Truancy – Click this Link --> School - Student Life thread
* Sedition - Prison for up to life OR execution.
* Sexual Misconduct of an adult with a minor – Prison for up to 5 years.
* Treason - Prison for up to life OR execution.
* Trespassing on Government Property – Prison for up to life.
* Trespassing on Private Property – Prison for up to 5 years.
* Violation of a Business Trust – Prison for up to 1 year.[/list]

Violation of Religion, including (but not limited too);
    Assault on a religious figure – Prison for up to 5 years.
    * Falsification or proliferation of a false religion or deity – Prison of 5 years to life OR execution.
    * Public display against Kaine – Prison for up to a year.[/list]

Dray

If you can think of anything else, well your a troublemaker, but put it in here if you want to be sentanced, I mean, if you want it to be assigned a sentance.

The above is generalities, cases brought before the court (5 goverment judges, no jury) are all considered unique cases with unique possible outcomes.

Updated 02.20.08

Griznuq

Uh... Gallows is where they throw a noose on you, and you die.

isn't it? don't you get hanged by the neck at a gallows?

Are you thinking of the thing where you put your head and hands through?
    =]V[=

Dray

yup, Macc will get me the wooden block thingmajigg name

Wildfire

That is known as "the stocks"

what about:
    Treason and or Sedition (and what would be considered as such). I would think much of our talk and possible actions could be considered as such.
    Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Johan

A few items:

"The Stocks", as Wildfire points out, or more appropriately "Stockades" (believe it or not).

You've got nothing under "Violation of Religion"
    Why would a pregnant lady be put to Hard Labor? That seems a bit iffy to me. It's been pointed out several times that these are not *evil* folks. One would think that they would have a care for a woman who just gave birth, not to mention of the health of the child. Or does the hard labor begin after appropriate convalescence post...labor?

Perhaps such a woman loses the child? She is obviously not capable of making good decisions and all. Once that's done, I'd think along the lines of public service.

By the way: what constitutes "Hard labor"? Breaking rocks to be used for construction? Lumberjacking?

The penalty for Destruction of Government Property is the same as just plain old property. Wouldn't they be more strict regarding government property? Perhaps this is where the "Unique crime" comes in?

What exactly is meant by "Destruction of Property"? I would think that if I owned a crystal figurine, and I chose to break it, that would be my business (perhaps not). I assume that this means "Someone else's property"? Does it also mean "Intentional Destruction of Someone Else's Property"?

What restitution is made to folks who are on the receiving end of various crimes? From where does that restitution come?

Is there money in Our Commons? In Safe Haven? I suppose there is, since we all have starting gold, but what kind of money is there? Where do they get it? How do they mint it? Is there a treasury in Our Commons? Are all the miners "mysteriously" wealthy?

How about Defacing Public or Government Property? (/grabs by ear..."Conjugate!" DOMANI, DOMANI!!)

How about "Extinguishing a Perimeter Flame"?
    How about "Allowing a Perimeter Flame to become Extinguished"?

Sorry...I can't remember what we call the Holy Candles out at the edge of the Rim.

Aiding and Abetting?
    Public Indecency?
    Falsely accusing a citizen of any of the above?
    Are there any of what I might consider "goofy" laws? You know like: In Maine, it's illegal to walk your fish on Sundays. We actually do have goofy laws like this.

Do they make distinctions between "Petty" crimes and "Substantial"?

How about "Failure to obey a Government Official"
    "Resisting Arrest"

The list just goes on and on, doesn't it?

I suppose it's truly impossible to make a comprehensive list. I would expect a de-facto punnishment to being a general pain in the ass.
    Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Dray

A few items:

Why would a pregnant lady be put to Hard Labor? That seems a bit iffy to me. It's been pointed out several times that these are not *evil* folks. One would think that they would have a care for a woman who just gave birth, not to mention of the health of the child. Or does the hard labor begin after appropriate convalescence post...labor?

Remember we speak of girls who become pregnant before they reach 18. Hard labor (consisting of work in the factories (mostly women), mines (mostly men), etc.) begins after the woman has recovered from child birth. The baby becomes property of the state UNTIL the woman has served 1 year in hard labor AND then serves 6 consecutive years in the military.

Why is this law this harsh? Well to make a longer and complicated story short (even though I won't), it was because the government used to have a completely different policy. Once upon a time, a girl upon reaching child-bearing age was ordered to become pregnant as soon as possible. And this policy did indeed facilitate a population growth for hundreds of years, but with many unpopular consequences. The psychology of young mothers wasn't healthy, and the newborns, born to young women who were really children themselves, had many health problems of their own. Maintaining a consistent military was difficult, as the demographic of the soldier was problematic. (a.k.a.) Too many young people were having babies and having to stay home and care for them, and the army got older and older. Even when new young recruits did come in they didn't have the necessary skills. The government couldn't maintain structure.

So the government (being clever) reinvented child services and put programs in place at the school and made this legislature was made law. In affect, they put in place the means to have a stronger, more consistent and skilled military, consisting of individuals who were very familiar with each other.

At first this ruling was unpopular, many young women continued to have babies at a young age and the system didn't progress as intended. So the government put into place these harsh sentences to make any "over-enthusiastic" child think twice about copulation. Also note in place the sexual misconduct with a minor, many adults visited the prison during those first years of this law.

I hope this answers this question. The ruling seems harsh, but if "you don't have sex before 18, then you don't have to worry about it", a mantra told by every parent to every child. Another note, pregnancy while in the military (18 to 24) gets you no jail time. Although rank can be lost and internal punishment (military) is usually given. More of a slap on the wrist though (Mess Hall duty for a year, stuff like that). Child still becomes a property of the state though until time served in military is finished.

Perhaps such a woman loses the child? She is obviously not capable of making good decisions and all. Once that's done, I'd think along the lines of public service.

Certain unique cases are judged and sentenced differently, there are also lawyer services available in Our-Commons which one can hire to make appeals to the court.

By the way: what constitutes "Hard labor"? Breaking rocks to be used for construction? Lumberjacking?

Yup

The penalty for Destruction of Government Property is the same as just plain old property. Wouldn't they be more strict regarding government property? Perhaps this is where the "Unique crime" comes in?

Usually people accused of this crime have a list of accusations against them. Always bad to break something not yours.

What exactly is meant by "Destruction of Property"? I would think that if I owned a crystal figurine, and I chose to break it, that would be my business (perhaps not). I assume that this means "Someone else's property"? Does it also mean "Intentional Destruction of Someone Else's Property"?

You know that saying that "There is no such thing as a stupid question?"

What restitution is made to folks who are on the receiving end of various crimes? From where does that restitution come?

I hadn't thought of this, and good question. So let's just say that using a lawyer hired in the capital, one can seek damages (paid from the transgressor) through the court.

Is there money in Our Commons? In Safe Haven? I suppose there is, since we all have starting gold, but what kind of money is there? Where do they get it? How do they mint it? Is there a treasury in Our Commons? Are all the miners "mysteriously" wealthy?

On one side of each typical coin type is a Spire, on the other there is Kaine's symbol (sword and shield resting on a knapsack). It is minted in a heavily guarded building at the capital. I think I even list it in one of the district posts.

How about Defacing Public or Government Property? (/grabs by ear..."Conjugate!" DOMANI, DOMANI!!)

Defacing, destruction, licking, whatever...not a good idea.

How about "Extinguishing a Perimeter Flame"?

When the "Holy Flame" is extinguished for one of the planned attacks that happens each season (not sure if I came up with a name for this yet), sometimes the Karh'Thul rush through the barrier instantly. So they have never had to punish anyone for this.

How about "Allowing a Perimeter Flame to become Extinguished"?

"What if I want to stop a moving government bus with my body? What is my p punishment?" – 4 wheels of the bus hit you for up to 2 seconds.

Sorry...I can't remember what we call the Holy Candles out at the edge of the Rim.

"Holy Flame"

Public Indecency?

See Public Distrubance.

Falsely accusing a citizen of any of the above?

Falsification of Record

Are there any of what I might consider "goofy" laws? You know like: In Maine, it's illegal to walk your fish on Sundays. We actually do have goofy laws like this.

Didn't have time to work on these, but I am sure there are. I didn't want to get too carried away with this subject and lose serious campaign development time.....hint hint.

Do they make distinctions between "Petty" crimes and "Substantial"?

Yup, but it is defined in the severity of the sentence. Note, that the above punishments represent the "typical" sentences given. Judges of the government have liberty to punish however they see fit.

How about "Failure to obey a Government Official"
    "Resisting Arrest"

Meh, I will add them to the list if I have more time later, lunch is over.

The list just goes on and on, doesn't it?

I suppose it's truly impossible to make a comprehensive list. I would expect a de-facto punnishment to being a general pain in the ass.

Yuppers, good questions though!

Johan

I see you had your sarcastic juice this morning. Too bad you also had your muffin of un-clarity too...

Let me re-word a couple of these:

"Allowing a Holy Flame Torch to become Extinguished."
    You've mentioned that this happens from time to time. However, I would see these Torches as pretty key to the fundamental safety and growth of Safe Haven. We have people who's job it is to ensure that they stay lit because if they don't stay lit, some of the demons are going to come a-rushing in. Anyone lackadaisical enough to allow a Torch under their duty to become extinguished, well, I would think that there would be some kind of punishment for this.

It's kind of like falling asleep on the front lines and allowing the enemy to come sauntering in, isn't it? BIG PENALTY, one would think.

Even worse: Intentionally snuffing a flame. Death, one would think.

Instead of "Intentional Destruction of Someone Else's Property" how about "UN-Intentional destruction"? They gonna hang me because I'm clumsy and triped on my feet resulting in the destruction of something? This question comes along because the crime is "Destruction", no allowance for "oops".

Do constables turn their eyes away for truly minor infractions?

Is gambling legal?
    Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Would the use of Voodoo (magic) be considered a violation of religion?
    Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Chassic

Hey, how about prostitution? Is it legal once you've reached adulthood? Judging from what I've read about soldiers visiting Shantytown (SP) it seems like it may be.

Dray

It is illegal, however, the authorities turn a blind eye to it in Shantytown, since they also are patrons. The church is not thrilled by this practice and their is strife within government because of it.

Beauty of the situation is, the military can take advantage of the system in multiple ways in this regard. And I would say more, but a 6 year old is literally sitting on my head at the moment (and no, not in a good way you sicko!)

Chassic

Dray

See what you went and made me do? Now I got a whole new thread about "sluttery". *sigh*

PROSTITUTION