- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

Kit's Life

Started by Dray, March 19, 2006, 12:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Griznuq

/me is waiting for the cliff's notes to come out.
=]V[=

Wildfire

Due to some graphic scenes and disturbing images, parental advisory is suggested...well, it's not THAT graphic...

Ashe took his dagger and put it up to the top split. It had already started to ooze blood from the frail skin. The elixir that Kit drank earlier had worn off hours ago and the blood was now thinner and flowing easily albeit slowly. He gently pushed the dagger in. The skin resisted and suddenly released.

A jet of blood shot out and sprayed Ashe in the face. It went so far as to even hit Wolf guarding the door. Reactively, Wolf let out a quick bark and turned to see what had touched him. Kit let out a scream and began to talk saying something that Maccabeus had no hope of understanding. Ashe jolted from the spray and soothingly replied in similar sounding verse. Maccabeus could tell by his tone that he was trying to put her at ease.

Ashe was making the cut larger by running the blade down the natural split. Coagulated blood blobs began to erupt from the cut and take flight like lava bombs from a volcano. Switching from on language to another, Ashe said, "More rags! We need more rags!" Maccabeus quickly put the rags around the cut and onto the bed to soak the geyser of blood flowing from Kit's back. A finger of light began to poke out from within the quickly forming crater that was Kit's back. "There it is Maccabeus...the crystal!"

Riding the tide of crimson gore were fragments of bone and tissue. Maccabeus could see that there were not nearly enough rags for their intended task. Wolf stood and watched with a confused look at the events unfolding. He looked from the door back to the bed not knowing which way to guard. "Okay Maccabeus, I'm going to pull the crystal out. When I do, take the powder in the purple bowl there and sprinkle it all around in the wound." Ashe opened the cut with his hand and reached in. He pulled out a smooth, deep blue, glowing crystal that looked much like a sand dollar. Splinters of bone and tears of blood dripped off of the odd item. His hand completly covered in her blood. Kit whispered, "Oow...that hurts. What are you doing?" The light from the crystal filled the room casting a surreal light on Maccabeus, Wolf and Ashe's bloody face.

To the surprise of Ashe and Maccabeus the crystal spoke, "Kitalia, don't be afraid. I will not hurt you. You created me and I will protect you, we are one. But Drakyr is here now and he wants me for himself! He must be killed before he takes me away!!"

Ashe said faintly, "That voice?"
Wildfire

One should never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity

Wildfire

Ashe pulled an emerald encrusted dagger from his belt and handed it to Maccabeus and said. ?Maccabeus, soak two rags. Hand me one, be sure it?s got enough water for dripping, and cut a hole in the other one. We need to soften the skin so the cut will go easy.?

Maccabeus, mumbling [soak two, hand one, cut one, ask about seerspeak], did as asked. While he cut a hole in one [cut one, ask about seerspeak] of the rags Ashe gently squeezed the water onto the gigantic blister. With each drop of water, the blood that had been oozing from the skin splits began to clear. After releasing every last drop of water, the top of the blood sack had been cleaned. The glow of the dark blue gem was shining like a lantern. Maccabeus [ask about seerspeak] could see the cuts from which the blood had been oozing were in a curled ?V? shaped pattern. Ashe gasped, [ask about seerspeak and gasping] pursed his lips, cocked his head, and briefly closed his eyes.

He then placed his rag on the bed and took the other one from Maccabeus [ask about seerspeak and gasping]. Laying it on the blister he opened the hole to reveal where he was going to cut. Ashe took out a wooden dagger with a gilded handle. His hair had tumbled down the sides of his face as he looked over to Maccabeus [ask about seerspeak and gasping]. With his tired, purple eyes, a raised eyebrow, and a slightly maniacal grin, Ashe almost looked like a demon. Flatly he said, "This is where the fun begins?"
Wildfire

Johan

Maccabeus sobered quickly and settled into his old role of assistant. "Right." He said, adopting his favored cant, "Medicines, rags, basin, water bubbling kettle, other kettle..." He mumbled to himself as he puttered about fetching the various implements that Ashe required. It was a lot of walking back and forth as he placed the basin then emptied the kettle into it (not wanting to carry a human-sized basin full of boiling water). Thus focused, he rather meticulously attended each of Ashe's directives in the order in which they were uttered, mentally checking each item off as it was completed.

[...water bubbling kettle, other kettle, ask about seerspeak...]
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Wildfire

Ashe looked about and said, "Okay, the medicines on the big table need to be brought over here to the bedside table. The rags drying by the fire all need to brought over here. Also, one of the steel basins next to the water barrel needs to be filled with some of the boiling water in the kettle. There's an extra kettle in the kitchen that we'll need to start boiling more water."

The glow from the gem in her back began to glow brighter and Kit began to babble in a strange language. Ashe had not heard this tongue since his younger days. It was Seerspeak. Seerspeak was a smattering of languages that was developed to be purposefully cryptic. Only the most linguistically savvy would ever be able to understand any of it. The Seers would also write their visions and chronicles in like fashion to protect their knowledge from any tampering. This was a strange development indeed.

Kit's words were random and meaningless at this point. She was in a state of psychic shock from her recent episode and her mental state was in recovery. Ashe said to himself in Mahiya's tongue, "How would she know Seerspeak? She'd have had to practically learn it from birth." He wasted no further time in pondering this oddity. There were more important things at hand.
Wildfire

Dray

Wolf watched as the Kyle sandwich approached.

:D

Johan

This was one of those rare visuals that Maccabeus preferred to not see. So much blood...

Ashe was speaking: "blah, blah, blah...crystal born [crystals aren't born - there's madness afoot]...something, something...going to be messy [like it's not now, eh?]...droning...Trust me."

Whatever. He thought. There was obviously work to be done; perhaps he might learn something else this day.

He turned to Wolf and pointed towards the door saying, "Please guard the door. Don't let anyone in. We'll eat later." He was a smart wolf, certainly, but Maccabeus couldn't help but wonder if Wolf listened to him the way that he sometimes listened to Shankaria...or Ashe. He probably heard me say to eat anyone who tries to enter! He laughed in spite of the situation.

He turned then to Ashe and his charge saying, "Just tell me what to do."

Wildfire

Ashe was standing there with blood soaked bandages trying to sponge up the crimson fluid that was now freely flowing from Kit's wound. The sapphire glow of the gem had gotten brighter in the past few minutes and Maccabeus could see it from the door. The bulbous blood sac had swelled to a height that would make even the toughest warrior cringe. Kit was in a cold sweat and murmuring random words. Ashe was doing his best to make her seemingly frail body as comfortable as possible.

Wolf stuck his nose in the air taking in the full familiar aroma of the blood. Instinctively, he licked his his muzzle hoping that his lupine hunger would be sated.

Maccabeus could smell the exotic scents of a variety of herbs. The strongest among them was lavendar; the smoke of which was emanating from a brass vessel hanging in the corner of the room.

Ashe looked positively ragged. The black and purple circles were still hanging under his eyes from the previous nights unrestful sleep. "Oh Maccabeus! Thank Mahiya you're here! Kit's blister is about to release and I need your hands to help me."

Maccabeus had noted the distress in Ashe's voice. Wolf had noted it as well with his furrowed, furry eyebrows and glance at his brother. He may not have understood the situation but he understood that there was a sort of sickness. He was a smart wolf.

"I have to lance the wound to relieve the pressure. The crystal no longer needs to incubate in her blood and is ready to be born. This is going to be messy and painful. If needs be you must hold her down. It hasn't come to that yet. I've prepared some medicine recipes there on my table. Trust me, we'll need them. Right now we have to drain the blood."
Wildfire

Johan

The subconscious was a remarkable thing. Maccabeus often got lost in his dance, paying tribute to the beloved Divinities. Often, he would descend from his trance-like meditation to find that he had roamed far and wide indeed. Nearly always, when he surveyed his surroundings, he would find some item or element of presence that he had been seeking for some time. Or that he had no idea that he was searching for, but having found it, he then knew that he had been looking for it.

He often also found that he then had no idea where he was. In those times, it had been good in his earlier years to have Wolf at his side to help him home. Nowadays, he could follow his own overly-obvious trail.

Such meditations always broadened the event horizon of his spirit, and often that of his physical being as well.

Once, in his younger years studying under Shankaria, in the year of the great drought, he had entered a deep meditative state and danced for hours, coming back to his body only to find himself hip-deep in a crystal-blue pool of Istisha's water that ran in a rivulet down into the northern reaches of the Dale from the craggy mountains of the Giants of the Fist. That water had been sent by beloved Istisha, and had been the salvation of many clans of Dale Gnomes and their lupine allies. Istisha had clearly lured him there under his trance to aid his people.

During his dancing, the Divinities taught him much that he was unable to hear while he was yet within himself. Today, that teaching was that Vallenwood's voice would follow him far beyond the edge of the Ring of Mists. Maccabeus had danced in the shadow of that great tree?s voice all the way from its home in the Ring of Mists unto the very edge of Threshold.

Maccabeus found himself next to a great stone fortress, looking easterly down upon the town of Threshold. His stomach rumbled noisily. Wolf scoffed at him meaningfully. "I know." He said to his friend. "I've been out too long." His head was still spinning a little, and a cool breeze dried his brow comfortingly.

"Perhaps a visit to lovely Kym's establishment, eh?" He peered out across the valley of the town and saw, at nearly three bow-shots distance south and east, nestled in the hill above the Hiddenmount, the Hunter's Lodge, where the enchanting youngling toiled and lived with her noble father. His mouth whet itself at the mention of food, and his mind perked up at the thought of his supposed company. "Perhaps tonight we might join Kymberly on that hunt?" He suggested. Wolf turned himself and looked over his furry shoulder at Maccabeus, batting his lids over his deep brown eyes. "Never you mind that." Maccabeus flatly admonished his observant friend.

Both Maccabeus and Wolf stood tall suddenly. Vallenwood was speaking once again over the distance from the Ring. They both felt his voice in their hearts and in the land, reverberating up from the soil and speaking directly into their souls in that timeless lilting language that was shared among Maccabeus's kindred.

"Maccabeus, brother to the Wolf, the son of Zebulon, Ashe has asked for your help."

"We'll have to wait to eat." Maccabeus said. Wolf leapt to his feet and the little gnome jumped upon his broad back. As one they were off in a heartbeat, running along the west side of Threshold to Ashe's home, where the smell of blood hung in the air. Wolf sneezed as Maccabeus opened the door and entered that den.

Wildfire

As Ashe said his prayer he connected to the familiar essence of the the Vallenwood tree that had been planted in the Ring of Mists. He knew the tree as an infant acorn for many years and was able to bond with it's soul. He projected his thoughts to it asking it to relay his message to Maccabeus. He only hoped Maccabeus was there to hear it.

-------------------------

In the Ring of Mists the quickly growing tree had said in it's timeless language, "Maccabeus, brother to the Wolf, the son of Zebulon, Ashe, has asked for your help."

-------------------------

Ashe looked at the splitting skin on Kit's back and something about the configuration of them was unusual but he could not place his mind on it. The blood and gore was too much for him to dwell about it. He wanted to wait for Maccabeus to arrive before making any unnatural cuts. He needed the extra pair of healing hands. Time was running out. Soon her crystal would emerge. He had to relieve the swelling or the bursting of the blister could jeopardize her life. He placed some newly cleaned cloths on her sides and around the blood bubble. In doing so he noticed a blue glow coming from within the blister. The crystal was almost ready.
Wildfire

Dray

Ashe anxiously watched the water-clock as hands of time passed slowly bye. Kit's condition gradually worsened as Kossuth exchanged to its preferred windows, its' rays shining across the apothecary in attempts to banish the shadows from each corner.

With expected increasing frequency she endured spasms of pain as the crystals' movement forced contractions within the wound. Ashe surmised it was coming directly from her spinal column, as evidenced by the earlier appearance of bone at the top of the wound. That evidence had since been lost, for the bone had drowned within the growing blister.

It had become enflamed with infection, its' outer edge lined with puss as the dark blood sought escape to the surface, away from the over-heated center of her body and to the cool nourishing air above. Had it not been for Ashe's blood thickening potion Kit would have bled out and died bye now.

Each contraction awoke her to a semi-conscious, delirious state of pain and fear. Ashe became more worried as each time he saw less and less sanity within her blue eyes. Her will was strong enough, the surgery had proved that, but he found himself again concerned for her mind. During the brief moments between the convulsions subsiding and Kit's blessed mental slip back into oblivion, he would give her a sip of the potion, which had some pain-relieving qualities to it. He also spoke calmly to her, giving her soothing words of praise, telling her how proud he was of her and that she was doing really well.

Paladine bless her, for just before closing her eyes, she smiled up at him.

[5pm]

So on and on it went until late in the afternoon he dared not allow the process to go any further.

The blister now took up most of her back. The blood, having only one inadequate egress from the body, had spread under her skin almost to the shoulder-blades. The wound was so bloated that the surface of her skin was almost half a hand width elevated above where it was supposed to be. It didn't appear that the three-lined jagged gashes, which were responsible thus far for filling many a bucket with blood-soaked rags, were going to tear any further.

Ashe knew this is where he needed to cut. He needed to clear the massive mass of blood, puss and swimming bone away, find the crystal, and heal her to the best of his ability. A wound of this nature was at the edge of even his own ability, but he was confident he could still repair the spinal column.

He would have to be quick, for even the potion could not sustain the slight girl during such catastrophic blood drain.

He also needed another assistant, the surgery would certainly be painful and would awake Kit.

Ashe whispered a prayer to Mahiya, "please return Maccabeus to me".

Wildfire

Ashe took a deep breath and looked at the blister. There were crimson trails of blood slipping down the sides of her waist. The medicine he had given her earlier was still in effect and her blood was maintaining a degree of thickness that he was comfortable with.

Had she been sweating from a fever he would let her continue to do so. Sweating was the bodies way of expelling such things. This condition was altogether different. Her body was riding the waves of the emergence of her psicrystal and as such needed to maintain a certain degree of constance.

Ashe went and got more rags to soak up the blood from her blister. It was really more like a cocoon for the crystal but it had the appearance of a blister. He took one of the rags and soaked it in some cool, clean water. He folded the rag into a neat rectangular pad and placed it on the back of her neck hoping that it would help cool her off. After such he placed the other rags to either side of her waist.

As he made his way to his chair he noticed a heaping pile of bload soaked cloth and decided that while she was sedate he would wash them. He got his basin, washboard, and a brick of hard soap. He set up his drying rack next to his hearth and began to scrub the rags down. After cleaning each rag he hung it on the rack to dry.

As he scrubbed he was lost in a particular memory:

"You've gone too far!! You've lost yourself in this quest of yours and it has drawn you into madness! Is it worth thowing everything away?"

"That's the problem with you my brother. You're not willing to risk everything. Because of that you won't gain anything."

"And what will you gain from this...obsession? There are some things worth risking it all for. Then there are some things that should be left alone. The road you're traveling will not lead to your salvation. Rather towards your self destruction."

"Oh really? Have you been there before? Have you seen what I've seen? Felt the power of it all? I think not! Until you do you have no conception of what you're talking about! This is where our destinies differ, Ashe. I will not let you deny me of mine because of your fears!"

"It's not fear. It's love. I've been watching you slip into a downward spiral and I can't let you continue to slip any further! Come back to me...to us..."

"You think you're saving me? Please! You are so blind! You ask me to stagnate in the stew of the mundane. I can't do that...I won't. Goodbye Ashe. I've opened the door to another side of life and I will not be held back by you or anyone!"

"Before you go, just know that you'll always be my brother. No amount of yyour crazed ambition can stop that."

Ashe suddenly noticed that he had scrubbed his knuckles raw.
Wildfire

Dray

Upon looking at him, Kit came fully awake and gave a small nod in recognition. She clamped her eyes shut and grinded her teeth against the pain. The blister shuttered against the internal movement and Kit squeezed the blood out of her caretaker's hand.

After a few moments the pain subsided and Kit fell unconscious, but she now was covered in a layer of sweat, her back muscles convulsed and blood was once again getting out of control.

Wildfire

Ashe dropped his mug of tea and immediatly ran to Kit's side, grabbed her hand, and said, "Kit! Kit! Breathe deep and slow! I'm here. I'm going to get you through this. Just try to stay calm."

Ashe knew exactly what was happening. The crystal in her back was growing and was starting to push it's way out. It would still be some time before it emerged but the process had begun. Kit was in for more physical pain than she had ever endured. He wondered if any of his concoctions would even dull the pain at this point.
Wildfire

Dray

Ashe became lost in his thoughts, the past battling the present until both suceeded in reluctant peace.

Ahse discovered himself staring out a window as he raised an empty tea-scented mug to his lips. He had been so focused on his meditation that he had lost the passage of more then two hands of time. If not for sudden lack of the soothing tea his reverie would have remained.

[11am]

He put the tea down on the sill.

Turning towards Kit he started to say, "Well Kit, what do..."

She interrupted him with a sudden reflexive motion of her arms followed by an intake of breath and a gasp of pain. The blister swelled suddenly and became engorged, blood gushed out the jagged edges at the top.

Kit opened her eyes and looked through him, as she started to moan in pain her breathing quickened.