News:

- Chubby Dwarves are low fat.
- Pippen accused of getting drunk and feeling Merry
- Mexican Hobbit corrupted by One Ring. Known as Smiegel

Main Menu

04.16.2127 - The Meeting (Harrison and Emma)

Started by Dray, March 22, 2008, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dray

Emma followed the Deaconess from the door of the plush carriage coach to the front gate of the outer wall. She bowed her head which remained dry within the hood of the cloak. It was a miserable rainy day of early spring, and the chill in the air gave no hint of the summer to come. Acknowledging the cloth and carriage of the Clergy, the guard let the old woman and her young helper through the gate without so much as a hint in asking for papers.

A few minutes later, at the entry way to the orphanahe, the woman was berating the young child.

"I don't care whose daughter you are, if you so much as take a toe out of line I will see to it that you are severely punished, do we have an understanding young one?" the woman scorned down from above her impossibly long and crooked nose at her.

"Yes Deaconess Myrtle, I will...." Emma started but was cut off.

"You will make your rounds and not so much as say "Hi" to any child within the orphanage, I will not be held out of the church on a day such as this by the petty foolishness of a young girl" she scowled. "Hand them each a cookie, check for sickness and meet me at this entry by 6 night-hand or I swear by all that is holy you will not see supper for a week."

Emma willed herself not to cry. The woman had no mercy for weakness and was a silver-tongued witch who would successfully deny this entire speech should she report it.

"Now get to work."

15 minutes later Emma had retreated to a corner of the common room, crying quietly in it. The bowl of cookies perched on a lone rickety table on the far side of the room where the children were enjoying them and wondering about the weird young priestess girl. They didn't dare go to the center of the room where the old donated wooden crates someone once called furniture was. Instead they leered from the corner.

"She hasn't even lowered her hood!" one said.

"Did you check the symbol? She is of the Circle of the Deaconess! I didn't know kids could be in that?" questioned an older girl.

As they whispered and wondered, Emma merely cried in the corner, oblivious to them. She hated her father, her station and her life.

Griznuq

Harrison felt the tension in the room as he entered. It was strangely hushed. His attention was quickly brought to the shape of a sobbing girl. The hell did I just walk into? He wondered.

Harrison scowled a bit. The other children were clearly distracted by this sobbing lass, and she was just as clearly not planning to stop any time soon. Harrison sighed. Why was nothing ever just normal?

Reaching into his pocket gently, Harrison nodded silently to the few in the crowd he called friends. They all knew Clive, Harrison's pet white squirrel. Harrison pulled Clive out of his deep pocket, and from his other pocket, Harrison produced a small shiny quartz stone he'd found in the court yard. He gave the quarts to Clive, and looked the creature in the face for a moment. Clive took the stone and scurried off to the sobbing girl, stopping just a couple of feet away.

Clive sat up straight, took the stone from his mouth and held it out, chattering at the girl.
=]V[=

Dray

The girl had the exact reaction Harrison expected, she immediately stopped crying and let out a start before giggling a little. "Who are you little one, what are..." she stopped and looked over to the center of the room. There she saw Harrison standing with the group of children behind him in the corner, also looking on.

She seemed to remember herself at the moment and stood up, collecting herself and ignoring the squirrel. Her hood still up, her hands disappeared inside as she wiped her face of the tears.

Griznuq

"That's Clive," Harrison said matter-of-factly. "He doesn't like to see a pretty girl cry." Harrison no sooner said it than he regretted saying it... There were a couple of "OOO's" from the younger kids. He said it as a statement of fact, not a admission of attraction.
=]V[=

Dray

The girl lowered her hood, a gentle, perfect face with dark brown eyes and long brown hair emerged from the hood. She was indeed one of the prettiest girls Harrison had ever seen. But he immediately also recognized that she was a girl of station, she wore it plainly on the pretty face, but was it a mask, or was it make-up Harrison wondered.

"Interesting, does that line work on all the orphan girls around here?" she said. To Harrison, the girls snootiness sounded forced, like she didn't want to be a jerk.

Griznuq

The fact that she was of a higher station than Harrison meant nothing to him, nor her apparent guardedness. His face didn't change expression, nor did his tone change at all. "It's not a line, it's a fact. Look, he's sad you haven't accepted his gift," Harrison said, pointing at Clive. As if on cue, Clive lowered the quarts, and bowed his head to the floor.

"He's very sensitive for a white squirrel."
=]V[=

Dray

Despite herself the girl giggled and put her hand to her mouth in surprise at the squirrels antics.

"Oh my Kai...." she interrupted herself, closed her eyes for a second with what looked like of some kind of internal reprimand. When she re-opened them, despite whatever it was that she was just hard on herself for, her eyes had returned to the squirrel and lit up with affection and happiness.

"That is about the cutest thing I have ever seen, how did you teach him that," she said, not taking her gaze off squirrel. She bent down low but didn't get closer to him. Her smile was radiant. The dried tears on her cheeks forgotten.

Johan

Hey, can we get a date code on this thread?

Thanks.
Avatar Courtesy of The Image Bank

Griznuq

LONG time ago. this is when Emma was introduced to the orphanage... she's actually the one who brings Harrison into the Whisper Gang.
=]V[=

Griznuq

Oops... Wrong post. Here's the right one.

"oh," Harrison said. "I didn't really teach him anything. He does genuinely like women. I just asked him to go be nice, he did the rest himself."

Clive skittered over to the girl, and put the quartz down on the floor, nudging it over to her with his nose, pausing every half an inch to look up at her and squeek.
=]V[=

Dray

Date is in the title too. This is 5.5 years ago.

Dray

"Oh my, it's like he's intelligent, I mean...um, like smart or...I don't know, like he is human or something," the girl stammered. She gingerly picked up the quartz and said, "thank you little squir...I mean Clive, it's a a very pretty stone."

As she stood up again while Clive scurried back to Harrison, she caught the looks from the gang of orphans behind him. Her face became flush with embarrassment and she lifted her arm to check the time. Her sleeve pulled back to reveal an ornate silver watch with artistic engravings and small inlaid diamonds. She didn't catch his stare at it while she started, "I better be getting back to the entry, I have to be back at the entry by 6, oh..." she stopped, looks like I have 20 turns left. She lowered her arm and returned her look to Harrison, and unfortunately the snickering behind him.

"Could you," her eyes darted about as she tried to think fast, "could you show me to any of the sick kids in the upstairs dormitories? I should administer medicine where it is needed." She sounded relieved at an excuse to get away.

Griznuq

Harrison pushed his glasses back up his nose by the bridge. "Sure, I can show you where you need to go," he said, feeding Clive a wafer.

Harrison began walking back through the door from whence he came. "Uh," he started. "Could I ask... ah, nevermind."
=]V[=

Dray

The girl quickly caught up to the boy and didn't look back at the gang of kids, as they stepped through the door which entered a corridor that led to a well-worn, but solid looking open wooden staircase she asked "Ask what?".

As they hit the first step she already looked very much relieved.

Griznuq

"Well uh," Harrison fumbled with his words. "I was hoping that... well... Can I have that quartz back?"
=]V[=